mpg question to previous 6.0 owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mpg question to previous 6.0 owners

Hi there,

I've been researching and digging through mpg info with the 6.4 and now want to ask owners that previously had tuned 6.0 how they compare so they have direct experience with this. I'm really thinking about getting a 2010 F250.

I have a 2006 6.0 fully built and SCT tuned, egr delete, cat delete etc etc.it gets pretty good mpg unloaded. I haven't towed with it yet since I haven't been to the race track in a while. It responded very well in mpg with the tunes.

When reading about the 6.4, tuned, dpf delete, regen disabled, I see a mix of info where some guys say they see increase in mpg and other guys that hand calculate say there was hardly much improvement.

In general does the tuned 6.4 get less mpg then a tuned 6.0? I would think with common rail system over the 6.0 HEUI it would do better.

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My 6.0 was custom tuned, egr delete, 4" straight pipe and same bed and cab configuration as my 2010. Both have the same wheels and tires and my 2010 has h&s, intake, exhaust. I use to get 11-12 in the 6.0 and now I'm getting about 13 doing the same exact driving. Towing around the city. Stop and go driving. That's why my numbers are so low but Atleast mine is the same setup truck with real hand calculated numbers. Before I deleted I was stuck at 9.8 mpg. So I gained about 3mpg to 13. This tank I drove north to the truck pulls on 55mph road and I have 320 miles to a half of a tank which is really good for me. It will prolly be 14 to 15 mpg this tank but that's unloaded just cruising.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

In general the 6.4s get less mileage than most diesels. It's because of the sequential turbos. These things flow a ton of air and therefore use more fuel. Depending on how you drive and what you are seeing in your 6.0 it might be comparable. It also depends on how you outfit the 6.4. The best MPG setup I can think of would be to do skinnier tires, put 5.4 coils up front and take out the rear blocks (less frontal area to push thru the air), tune it correctly, and keep your foot out of the throttle on a 2WD truck. It's all about efficiency and aerodynamics (as much as possible with the bricks we drive).

Take this for what it is as I haven't had a 6.0, but in my 6.4 I went from 13.5 average (80/20 hwy/city) to 16.5. I've seen 17.8 once. I have 275/65R20s, a leveling kit with 4" rear blocks and 4WD.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I really like the 6.4 interior so I'm trying to convince myself into getting one

CountryAggie I've been thinking the lower MPG numbers had to do with the turbos also but I was thinking it had to do with the back pressure of the setup. I would 'assume' with two turbine housing the exhaust would be a bit more restrictive. I've tested this theory with my 6.0

I have this long flat stretch in my area...I would set cruise control 65mph and data log exhaust back pressure (EBP), throttle position, boost. During freeway cruising it would a have good amount of EBP as vanes are partially closed. When I command vanes to open up first thing I notice from the seat of pants is the truck lunges forward like a pressure has been released. EBP values drop dramatically, boost drops as well but the main thing I notice is the throttle position value drops 4-5% for the same speed so less fuel is consumed. I've done this manually where I hold the gas pedal steady at 65mph when I open the vanes it speeds up to 70mph at same throttle position. To me that means the engine is working LESS harder to push the exhaust through a restrictive housing when vanes are partially closed.

Doing this has increased my empty freeway mpg but the downside is if you come to a hill you would need to re-engage the VGT as you will have no power to climb it.

Maybe with the 6.4 the addition of the second turbo adds more EBP and actually causes the engine to work harder at cruising speeds ending up with less MPG.

Sorry I might be over analyzing too much!

I forgot to ask...what kind of power are you seeing down low vs the 6.0? I had a 7.3 before and it had more low end grunt.

Last edited by makaveli200369; 03-03-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM

That could be also. I didn't think about that. I do have a 4" down pipe and 5" straight pipe on my truck also.

Down low the 6.4 is insane. I've lit up all 4 tires on dry smooth pavement. (Ok lit up might be exaggerated, but I chirped em. On a 2WD boosted launch I can't keep traction below 50mph...). Again I can't compare to a 6.0 or a tuned 7.3. My roommates 7.3 is a dog tho (in comparison). I feel like I have to rock back and forth to help it get up to speed! It's all stock tho.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 AM

hahah that's awesome! So lets say you take off normal and half throttle it at what RPM do you start feel it pushing you hard. It seems with the 6.0 around 1900-2000rpm is that sweet spot where the torque start pouring on.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli200369 View Post
hahah that's awesome! So lets say you take off normal and half throttle it at what RPM do you start feel it pushing you hard. It seems with the 6.0 around 1900-2000rpm is that sweet spot where the torque start pouring on.
You know I don't know that I've paid that much attention to that since I have never felt that I have a lack of power. I'll pay a little more attention to that next time I drive it and report back with we're it hits.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:28 PM

I drove mine this weekend...torque pours on hard at 1900rpm which matches the peak torque characteristics of this engine 560lbs @ 2000rpm. I believe the 6.4 is 650 at the same @ 2000rpm. I'm interested to see how the tuned 6.4 does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.