Another coolant flush question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another coolant flush question.

I have 78,000 miles on my 2010 and It's been "mine" for about 2 months. My ScanGauge shows a delta of 2*. The PO did an outstanding job of maintenance, I have all the records. The Ford Gold coolant is still in use and appears to be the original coolant. I have not tested the nitrate level. I'm considering whether to just drain and refill with the Gold and add a filter and continue to replace the Gold every 3yrs. or so, or change to Cat ELC-1 and add a filter. If I change to CAT ELC-1 it will be necessary to flush with VC9. I certainly don't want to cause any problems with the oil cooler. I plan to keep the truck for a long time. I drive it a couple of times a week and tow an 8000 lb. 5th wheel several times a year. Can I have some advice on these two courses? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I never used any chemicals when I switched over from the ford gold and it has been working fine. Just did a bunch of extra flushes with water.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

WHS^^. If you are worried about your delta just do a bunch of distilled water flushes, add a coolant filter and refill with EC-1 coolant.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought mine in Jan. with 83K on it. The carfax showed it had a rad replaced at 43K so I assume the coolant as well. The nitrates tested off the wall so I decided to do the prescribed flush now so I start with a known baseline. I had Ford do it because I still have some warranty left. The tech showed a lot of scale and some rust that was removed.This scale is what plugs the coolers; also the inhibitors settle from the coolant. I had the trans hot flushed as well,this is important to do a HOT flush as this opens the internal stats and allows the torque converter to be flushed and all the fluid gets changed. It cost me $900 and I think that was a lot but they spent a day and a half at it so...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Yeah, the PO had Ford do a trans. flush at 54K. As far as the coolant, I'm cheap and will do whatever myself. Just not convinced what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.