5.8mpg towing my travel trailer in the '08 'stroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.8mpg towing my travel trailer in the '08 'stroke

I just towed my 11k pound travel trailer 280 miles and used almost 50 gallons of fuel. I could set the cruise on 80mph and she wouldn't hardly budge any speed going up and down hills though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
so are ya gripping or???

I say slow down
Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Go Ford! They are moving in the wrong direction. Loads of power and no fuel economy. I spoke with the service mgnt to day and a new engine he thinks is on the way soon.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
so are ya gripping or???

I say slow down

lol... Nah, I'd rather get where I'm going quicker.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the kind of fuel mileage my '95 w/ 460 gasser used to get towing. The worse part was being a gasser it sucked going up hill. You couldn't use cruise control up hill while towing with that truck. Since I've gone diesel I will never go back to a gasser for towing, even if the fuel mileage was the same as the gasser, nothing pulls like a diesel.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can make my '08 get 5mpg even! I don't have any power though! The trip I got 5mpg on an old '99 powerstroke pulled up beside me with twice as big a trailer as me and blew my doors off without a single puff of smoke from him!!!! I hate the power my '08 puts out! I really hope they hurry up with what ever new engine they have coming out. I can stand bad economy if my truck performs great, but this one is 20mph slower than my '05 stock 6.0.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 AM

Something must be wrong with you 08. My Dad just rolled over 52K miles on his 08 and it pulls better then any truck he has owned. Over 50K of those miles have been pulling 25K LBS plus.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:30 PM

I don't get the best of fuel mileage pulling my Toy Hauler, but power sure isn't a problem. Seems I can pass about anything on the road if I wish. If you want better fuel mileage, slowing down would definitely help. I've noticed that my 6.4 is very speed sensitive to fuel consumption.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:04 PM

I too have noticed how speed sensitive my '08 milage is. I can actually get decent empty milage, but I really have to baby it to get it. I just don't have any power pulling, I have big trailers that end up with 20-25,000lbs on them, but I have always pulled these loads with the same trailers. My tech rode with me on a hill with his lap top hooked up and could not believe how bad the truck lost speed and could not hold its speed. He does not know what is wrong with it though. I only get 32psi of boost max, and pulling hard it only gets to about 21psi, I think it is a boost/turbo issue but what do I know! I have always been a Ford guy, I have never owned a truck that was not a Ford diesel infact. I just wish my $50,000 truck would out-pull my '05 6.0, but instead it is 20mph slower, I am just frustrated I guess. I am glad to hear that some guys have some that really pull good. Wish I had one. I am scared to do any modding because Ford has been looking at it so much, and I can't afford to loose my warranty. I just don't know what to do with this truck!
Old 12-30-2007, 04:40 PM

SLOW down -- I drove at 75 MPH until I was told that was 40% of my MPG issue -- I now run at 65 and get to were I am going within 5 min of 75 MPH speeds but I am seeing a 20% increase in MPG. And that is with 20K on board so with less weight it will really make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.