Coolant leaks from cap, normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leaks from cap, normal?

The first time I realized this is last year when I dynoed my truck. I always check my fluid levels and for leaks etc on my truck and it seems that when it got warm and then I really got on it it would leak coolant out of the overflow cap. The fluid would always be in between the fill lines. After I got it dynoed it had a lot of dried coolant on the drivers side of the engine bay and cleaned under the hood. Fast forward to a couple months ago I replaced my cap to a cap that has a larger spring. I didn't have any problems since last summer after the dyno run except right before I replaced the cap, it did it again that's why I changed the cap to see if that was the reason. The fluid when it's cold is right at the bottom of the fill level line. Just the other day I was messing around with some people and when I got home I seen in my drivers side wheelwell some more leaked coolant. Popped the hood and once again you can see where the coolant level rises enough to come out of the cap and can see the dried coolant where it comes around the threads of the cap. Every time I clean the engine bay out so I can see where it comes from if/when it does it again. Is this normal or is there something else to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Might be combustion gasses leaking into your coolant and causing it to puke do to increased pressure. The most common possible causes of 6.4 coolant puking can be:

-bad egr coolers
-bad headgaskets
-bad cap
-coolant level too high

Headgaskets may be your issue since your coolant level is good and you removed your egr coolers and have a new cap...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM

WHS^^. If your egr coolers are deleted and you replaced the cap its a good chance its your head gaskets.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

There could also be fuel in the system, too. That can eat away at the rubber and break down the cap and it can leak that way.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Egr deleted and new cap. Coolant level is good. Guess this only leaves one option. I'll keep a close eye on things. And I've never added coolant, so I guess that's good. Maybe just the first sign of the gaskets
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk450er View Post
Egr deleted and new cap. Coolant level is good. Guess this only leaves one option. I'll keep a close eye on things. And I've never added coolant, so I guess that's good. Maybe just the first sign of the gaskets
Is there any way you can pressure test the cooling system?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 AM

is it bubbling in the degas bottle when you shut the truck off?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 AM

No just really full like I over filled it
Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Hunter of Trolls

you've "never added coolant"'? yet, it's burped several times?

when was it last flushed/serviced? was it at operating temperature when it was serviced? what time of season, and how cold does it get there? what was the ratio of coolant to h2o?

you may be overfilled, plain and simple.. I think there was a TSB issued at some point that instructed folks to fill just below the bottom line on the old degas bottles.. otherwise, ol' gal would burp..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
you've "never added coolant"'? yet, it's burped several times?

when was it last flushed/serviced? was it at operating temperature when it was serviced? what time of season, and how cold does it get there? what was the ratio of coolant to h2o?

you may be overfilled, plain and simple.. I think there was a TSB issued at some point that instructed folks to fill just below the bottom line on the old degas bottles.. otherwise, ol' gal would burp..
Correct, I've never filled the degas bottle. At cold engine temp it is on the lower line. It was flushed when I had my egr delete a few months ago. I'm in mich and the temp varies from single digits to the mid 40s. This year has been kinda crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.