Help Diesel Experts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Diesel Experts

Afternoon All - I need a little help here. I have been a gas truck guy and am moving to diesel, mainly for towing our boat and travel trailer during the summer months. So, not much trailering, but our Tahoe just isn't cutting it.

I am trying to get the skinny on the 6.4 vs. the 6.7? I have been told the 6.4 is plagued with issues and that the only way to go is the 6.7, but that's another $7,000 to add to the price. You can find great deals on 6.4's, but I wanted to ask the forum for their thoughts. Safe bet with the 6.4 or get the 6.7 if possible.

Very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

The 6.4's are great trucks as long as they are maintained and had all recalls resolved "most vehicles have been updated and maintained so there are good 6.4's left." If you are looking for the best fuel mileage then a modified 6.4 will give you the best power and efficiency. You are gonna pay a pretty penny for a 6.7 and you have to spend more if you want to delete the regen process. The 6.4 if stock will have to be modified somewhat to but you can pick these up for considerably less money. The EPA has really cracked down so emissions and computer modifications are more expensive now as well. If you want a vehicle with a factory or extended warranty then the 6.4 or 6.7 are both okay but if you modify them you have to find a decent dealer to deal with regarding them working on your modified vehicle. Alot of guys have 6.4's and 7's modified but they return their vehicles to stock before the drive to the dealership.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is incredibly helpful and thank you!!!! My brother in-law has an older 7.3 and he said his mechanic told him to stay away from the 6.4 because they are prone to failures. I took him at his word, but am finding 6.4's around $30,000 to $35,000. One I am looking at now is from a very reputable Ford Dealer and they move a lot of product. My concern is less about the immediate and more about 5 years from now. So, 6.4 is AOK.

One other quick question. The 6.4 is a Borg-Warner motor correct and the 6.7 is all Ford?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 6.4 is an INTERNATIONAL motor, and I wouldnt take much advice from your brother in laws mechanic either. A tuned/deleted 6.4 is a very reliable truck, and they pull better than any of the other engines ford has from the 7.3-6.0 anyway. I cant speak for the 6.7 Ive never towed with one personally, but have heard lots of great things about them. It pretty much boils down to if you want to get into the aftermarket world or not. The aftermarket is better by leaps and bounds for the 6.4 as opposed to the 6.7. However, on the other side of the coin if you want a good reliable truck that will pull anything you want, get pretty decent mileage, and still have a factory warranty get a 6.7.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Again, more great information. To be honest, I would rather buy a truck that already has a few modifications to it. My towing will be limited to a handful of times during the summer. I am looking at this one right now: Used 2010 Ford F-250 For Sale | Huntington Beach CA .

I also like this one, but it's just a little too over the top for me. Might have been a SEMA truck. Just the grille alone screams look at me. But it is a 6.7: Used 2011 Ford F-250 Lariat in Huntington Beach CA | Serving Garden Grove, Irvine & Anaheim | VIN: 1FT7W2BT5BEA02218

Dodge also seems to have some nice rigs with the 6.6. Pretty trusted motor.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Sorry but the 6.6 is in the GM trucks, dodge is either 5.9 or 6.7. None of them are perfect, they all have some issue or another.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like someone needs to find a new mechanic. Maybe he meant 6.0's?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah...totally right and thank you. I was typing fast...typed in 6.6 instead of 6.7.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM

again don't worry about the 6.4 imo but your looking at some pretty nice trucks that have allot of mods i'm sure you'll know which one when you drive it. i have been in all trucks the dodge is whole diffrent feel than the 6.4 and 6.7 and my buddys 11 dmax has just fried a tranny (two days ago) with his wife driving it so you know my thoughts on dmax. but to some it up,you drive em you'll know!! nothing feels like a ford though!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I personally think there are always going to be vehicles (trucks, cars, dodge's, chevy's, ford's) that have mechanical defects from the factory that may come out within a few hundred miles or some may take 50k miles. But in my opinion I think most of the time the life of the truck will depend on the way the original owner takes care of it. Your best bet when you find a truck is to get a carfax report on it and do as much research on it as possible before buying it. The dealers can prep them up real nice and spiffy and take your focus off underlying issues. The old saying goes "you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd". I originally looked for my truck at several different stealerships, but found my beauty on autotrader.com from a private seller. He was the original owner, did no mods whatsoever, and never crashed it. Being able to speak to him directly made me very comfortable, and I drove across the state to buy it. I looked up the carfax before even going to his house and everything he said matched the carfax. Keep in mind though, carfax isn't 100% accurate always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.