Should I keep my 6.4 help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I keep my 6.4 help please

Looking for a little insight. I have. An 08 6.4 with 65,000 miles. I have not had many problems with it but I am a little nervous about some of the things I have read. Are these motors good for longevity. I have the dpf deleted with spartan. I have full warranty until October but trying to decide if I should keep it past that or if its going to nickel and dime me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

youve at least solved most of your head aches with the dpf delete. keep it .
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If you are scared of it you are more than welcome to gift it to me I'll take on the burden...

But in all seriousness, the 6.4 is an awesome motor as long as you know what you are getting into, do the maintenance, and minor bulletproofing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 AM

it's a ticking time bomb!!!

better sell it to me cheap just as a safe bet against all of the huge repair bills that are coming!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Keep it

Besides the high prices of the new Superduty the 6.4 motor is a sound design. That is once you turn off and tear out all of the emmision equipment. I have a '10with 65k miles on it with no troubles. Despite not having a crystal ball, I do not see any issues on the horizon. Just watch the maintainance schedule closely.

I started to have some concerns last year with some slight increase in metals in my oil analysis. I immediately got away from any "low emmision" engine oil (5K mile changes) and went back to CI-4 Plus. I can't say it was a dramatic change but the values are headed significantly down in the right direction. Beside the terrible effects of DPF and EGR systems have on these engines I never felt the oils of low ash, zinc etc were anyway near the quality of old. I did notice at year two and about 50000 miles my coolant was toast. There is something to those coolant stories. Check every year!

As they say every little bit helps, and watch the maintenance. But take stock in the fact all things mechanical eventually break. I won't be losing sleep over that. And I sure won't be driving any other brand!

2010 F-350 Lariat CC LB 3:55
Old 02-19-2013, 02:43 PM

My Job 1 08 has 178500 miles on it and has had no issues. Youve covered the major thing with the DPF delete. Like was said above, keep up with maintenance and monitor your temps and you should be fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM

I want to do the egr delete but not sure if I want to tackle it or not

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrassano View Post
I want to do the egr delete but not sure if I want to tackle it or not

With some patience its really not that hard. Just have a buddy or 2 come over the help.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM

Buddy's are great but sometimes it costs to much in refreshments ha ha. Egr delete and keep it

Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrassano View Post
Looking for a little insight. I have. An 08 6.4 with 65,000 miles. I have not had many problems with it but I am a little nervous about some of the things I have read. Are these motors good for longevity. I have the dpf deleted with spartan. I have full warranty until October but trying to decide if I should keep it past that or if its going to nickel and dime me.

You know the funny thing about this site is people generally post problems about their truck looking for help to fix issues. Very rarely (IMO) do people post about their lack of issues. I love my 6.4 will will never get rid of it. I also do not drive my truck like its stolen, or race everything that moves. Alot of people will tell ya that as long as you do regular maintenace and dont over abuse the truck it will last darn near forever. So I agree with everyone else and KEEP IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.