Truck smoking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck smoking

Yesterday i was driving my truck and noticed some smoke when i turned a corner. I wasnt sure if it was mine or not, but the next two times i looked back it was definitely my truck smoking. It looked to be white smoke, but i couldnt be positive since it was at night. It only did it those 3 times and has not done it since.

My "cleaning exhaust filter" message has been on for about a week more regularly than usual. I was wondering if my dpf is getting clogged or what the problem might be? My warranty is about to run out so i was wondering if i need to take it in and get it check out.The truck is all stock as far as the dpf and everything goes. If anyone could help me out and let me know what the problem might be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Have a tuner on the truck? Do you idle the truck for an Extended period of time?

Tom
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No don't have a programmer on it. And I let it warm up before I drive it, and it really hasn't been that cold here maybe low 40's at night and 70-80 during the day.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

Hmm, Might be a clogged DPF, but i dont know why the Regen light has been on for a week? How far do you drive the truck? Everyday driver? or just for driving around town?

Tom
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I drive it everyday. Not a far commute to work and school but last night when I noticed it smoking was about a 45 minute drive.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Truck smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
Hmm, Might be a clogged DPF, but i dont know why the Regen light has been on for a week? How far do you drive the truck? Everyday driver? or just for driving around town?

Tom
I think when the dpf begins to clog the truck senses a lot of build up so it goes into regen more. Eventually it'll be a constant regen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonC View Post
I think when the dpf begins to clog the truck senses a lot of build up so it goes into regen more. Eventually it'll be a constant regen

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yea he said hes been in regen for the past week. Im starting to think its a clogged DPF cause he only drives it to work and school and he said thats not a very far drive... So the exhaust hasnt gotten up to temperature to burn off the soot in the DPF. So thats the reason why for constant regen?

Tom
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would take the truck out, get it up to full operating temp and run it down the highway a little ways not just cruising but get on it a little bit and get the exhaust temps up, not abuse the truck, but run it vigorously (not exactly the cheapest option with fuel prices) but that could help the regen do what it needs to do. But if you still have warranty, I would get it into Ford asap! Then when the warranty is up, I would make other arrangements for that dpf...

Last edited by 05_PSD_Erik; 02-16-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
I would take the truck out, get it up to full operating temp and run it down the highway a little ways not just cruising but get on it a little bit and get the exhaust temps up, not abuse the truck, but run it vigorously (not exactly the cheapest option with fuel prices) but that could help the regen do what it needs to do. But if you still have warranty, I would get it into Ford asap! Then when the warranty is up, I would make other arrangements for that dpf...
Yep! Fully agree.

Tom
Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply guys. I havent drove it today but i may drive it back to my hometown which is 2 hours away to get it into my local ford shop there. Would there be any problems with driving it that far? i dont want to blow up the motor or anything.

But i agree im already looking for a programmer to delete the DPF, unfortunately i waited a little long and prices are ridiculous but hopefully soon i will be DPF free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.