6.4 Failures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Failures

Well I was at Ford today and was walking around the shop and noticed a cab in the air and it was an 08 F350 6.4. Well I was talking to the tech and apparently its the 3rd engine going in the truck. He said that the first two had gotton water in them and it gave out. I went and looked at the engine and the turbos were all rusted and the oil has that white color in it. Well another 6.4 was in there because the radiator broke and lost of the coolant then the engine just quit. That truck is getting a new engine also. The service writer was telling me that just the engines alone are $13K. If I ever had to get a another truck I would get a 7.3 and do a restore on it if it needed it because I've never seen a 7.3 fail. The only time I've seen new 7.3's go in are because the old ones had 300,000+ miles but still running, just tired and they were in ambulances. I've seen plenty of 6.0's and now the 6.4's being replaced because of a failure instead of wear. Just thought I would share this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Ole White

That's sucks the whole "6 liter nightmare" sounds like it is starting all over again Ford can't afford round two of the trouble motor game.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite7.3stroker View Post
That's sucks the whole "6 liter nightmare" sounds like it is starting all over again Ford can't afford round two of the trouble motor game.
You have a sweet truck.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Just to throw this out it would be interesting to know where the trucks that are having problems are built and what areas they are in. I have the 6.0 with 55000+ miles on it and no troubles and I love it. It is also not like I do not use it, I pull trailers with it and if you go to off topic-powerstroke offroading you will see how hard I use it. My pu was built in Canada, I have ID tunes I run all the time. I am also in Oregon where the climate is dry. So I am just curious if where it was built and if mabey the climate may have something to do with it
Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER04 View Post
Just to throw this out it would be interesting to know where the trucks that are having problems are built and what areas they are in. I have the 6.0 with 55000+ miles on it and no troubles and I love it. It is also not like I do not use it, I pull trailers with it and if you go to off topic-powerstroke offroading you will see how hard I use it. My pu was built in Canada, I have ID tunes I run all the time. I am also in Oregon where the climate is dry. So I am just curious if where it was built and if mabey the climate may have something to do with it
My brother has one of the first 6.0's with the 6 speed and has never had a major problem. Just had all of his injectors replaced in the first 1k miles because of a bad batch and got a new sensor today because the old one crack and was leaking oil. Other than that it runs like a champ and pulls like crazy with that ZF6.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:11 AM
Ole White

Thanks man you have a sweet truck yourself
Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Jon

This may be somewhat accurate. I personally believe that we will never see another engine like the 7.3 but from the short time the 6.4 has been out and the amount of mileage that I have seen on some of these trucks and the few repairs that we have done i'm am quite certain we may have another 7.3 type engine on our hands. I'm not worried about things such as the radiator issue thats just one of those things and it has nothing to do with the motor. Everyone I talk to loves them and the power and with a little help from tuners like the kem the fuel mileage is coming up. So keep your fingers crossed.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have only had one problem truck out of over 60 sold of the 6.4's. 3 radiators have been replaced, with one truck getting 2. Our techs love and hate this new truck. Love it because it has so few problems and customer complaints, and hate it because they aren't making money on it like the 6.0's. You'll here of more problems than usual on the internet, but that's just how the game works. I'd say it's going to be a good motor.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite7.3stroker View Post
The 6.4 isn't even close in issues in comparison to the 6.0s when they came out. Within the first few weeks of the 6.0 coming out there were dozens of threads discussing the problems with head gaskets, injector harnesses, failed injectors, EGR cooler failures, the pressure sensor on the turbo, etc... The 6.4has been out nearly a year and the only real consistent issue out there is the bad radiators. There have been a isolated issues here and there but nothing else popping up consistently across the sites. The 7.3 was a great diesel engine but let's not forget the 7.3 trucks were not flawless...they had and still have that auto trans behind it that is known for failing well short of 100k miles.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.