Tranny service - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny service

I have an 08 with an auto tranny with 10k. I was at the dealer and was going to get new tranny filters. I was told the internal filter was $34. OK. When I asked about the external filter they said it was $108!
I checked the manual and could not find much info. At this point I think I will change the internal filter, run Amsoil until 20k at which point I will change the external.
Has anyone changed tranny filters yet? If so how much were they?

Thanks
Tucker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Nobody has replaced the tranny filters yet?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Banned

Somebody is mixed up! The external filter should be less than $20. I bet they pulled the part number for the entire filter assembly. No need to change the internal filter until the 30K service. Change the external every 15K and you should be good to go.

This is all assuming that the 08 filter is the same as the previous 5R110 filter. Also you may want to check with your Ford dealer on the Amsoil. There is nothing wrong with the Mercon SP, and it is the only fluid that Ford authorizes for use in the 5R110 transmission.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

720, Thanks for your response. The filter I got looks like a plastic tube. I did not get the external filter, yet. I checked the manual and the filters are listed as Part# 175 and 176.
I think I am going to go the Mercon SP route after looking into it some more. Anyone know if SP is synthetic?
Thanks
Tucker
Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The external filter is just an element(paper) looks like the oil filter. Bought one for my '05 and I don't think it was very many $'s.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker View Post
720, Thanks for your response. The filter I got looks like a plastic tube. I did not get the external filter, yet. I checked the manual and the filters are listed as Part# 175 and 176.
I think I am going to go the Mercon SP route after looking into it some more. Anyone know if SP is synthetic?
Thanks
Tucker
I'm not sure about the SP but you can ask Shawn at Oil performance products......can I ask why you are changing the tranny fuild so soon?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Twin Turbo, I bought the truck used with 10k, so I am not sure how well the previous owner treated her and I will be towing a 20ft enclosed trailer come spring time.
I like to change fluids and filters when I get a vehicle so I can get a fresh start and know where I am starting from.
Tucker
Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker View Post
Twin Turbo, I bought the truck used with 10k, so I am not sure how well the previous owner treated her and I will be towing a 20ft enclosed trailer come spring time.
I like to change fluids and filters when I get a vehicle so I can get a fresh start and know where I am starting from.
Tucker
Oh I gotcha.....I'd do the same thing
Old 12-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

If anyone is interested the internal filter is part# FT-144. The manual does not list that part.
I did not do the external filter part# FT-176. Dealer price $109.
Manual lists 17 qts but I only needed 9 qts when I drained the pan.
One other thing, the part number for the fuel filters listed in the manual includeds a engine mounted fuel filter that has a different design then the stock filter that came with the truck. The bottom of the stock filter is less then an inch in diameter. The filter I got from the dealer has about a 2 inch opening in the bottom. I did not install the new filters. I am going back to the dealer to see if there is another filter kit for the 08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.