De-Chrome-ification. One step closer to MURDERED... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
De-Chrome-ification. One step closer to MURDERED...

Below is a 'de-chroming' if you will, of my BIG OLE DUMB F-250 Grille
It was missing a small chunk when I bought it which made me loose some sleep so it had to go... (for show)

I had to peel what seemed to be a covering made of coke cans...
6 Razor blades, 3 bandaids and a can of truck bedliner from (insert anywhere here) you can see the finished product.

Much Much Better and a hell of alot cheaper. If you want to slightly textured look like this, I have found that you need to be sure to buy the spray liner that say no abrasives on the can, also sand the **** out of the plastic and a light coat of primer wouldn't hurt. The primer will help cover up the gouges made by the ravor blades.

Before

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...93412BB3A4.jpg

AFTER

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...9339692EC5.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
not sure if you are familiar but something thats alot easier and the only prep work is making sure its clean before spraying is Plasti dip. It peels off too if you dont like it. 5.99 a can at home depot in the paint can aisle. one can will do front and rear bumper. it has a slightly textured look also. not as rough as a bed liner though.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I have seen it in stores. I had a can of bedliner laying around waiting to be used. It turned out nice though, I sprayed it real wet and it layed down real nice, not to textured. I will have to look into that for the bumpers though. Will it stick to the actual chrome?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATISBAM View Post
Yeah I have seen it in stores. I had a can of bedliner laying around waiting to be used. It turned out nice though, I sprayed it real wet and it layed down real nice, not to textured. I will have to look into that for the bumpers though. Will it stick to the actual chrome?
yup just make sure its clean and your good to go. I have done bumpers, rims, rocker panels along the bottom of trucks. I did an f150 rocker panels about a foot up from the bottom to cover the tan two tone over a year ago and it still looks perfect. I did a f250 a few weeks ago same thing. I love that stuff. I bought a can of red and plasti dipped my ovals. looks pretty sweet! look in my sig pic at my front oval
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great tip! I'm buying a black truck and one I looked at had the cheap chrome chipping off. I might look into doing the plasti dip on that and the front and rear bumpers!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATISBAM View Post
Will it stick to the actual chrome?
Yes, I did the center caps on my King Ranch and all the only prep I did was to clean them with a mild degreaser and then shot them with plasti dip. I had one mess up after a few months (my fault, scuffed while trying to remove) so I peeled the plastidip off and the cap looked as good as new still.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hell yeah. I never knew that stuff was as good as y'all are saying. I painted cars for 6 years and never used it.
Suppose I need to broaden my horizons huh?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

How does the plastidip hold up to rocks and such being on the front like that? I feel like the fact that it comes off by peeling would make it less resistant to chipping? I put that stuff on the front of a GTI that I had, but I sold it before I had alot of mileage with it. Traded it for my 7.3, in fact.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM

Does great. My buddy even uses a power washer on his. I will post pictures of what I have done in a little bit.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM

So here is what I have done.

First is the f150, this is before we did the lift and tires as well

Next is a 2002 f250. Did the same thing on his.

Those are the two big ones I have done. The 05 6.0 in my signature, we taped off all the badges and blacked them out, same with the f150. A kid bought an old el camino with this crappy white paint job so we sprayed the whole car. Lol. Looks pretty sweet flat black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.