Please Read: Blue Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Read: Blue Smoke

Hi

I had the weirdest problem occur to me this morning. I was 0 degrees outside and started my truck like I usually do and got it running 10 minutes before leaving. I drove approximately 1 mile to an intersection and waited 2 minutes. I got on the freeway, looked behind and saw a cloud a cloud of blue smoke. I pulled over to the side, got out and the it was the smell of oil. Waited a few minutes, then it went away. I drove off, it has not come back.

Mileage: 9000 miles
Oil: Amsoil 5w40

No engine lights have come on. My dealer said he couldn't evaluate it if it didn't do it again.

Do I have a serious problem? This is my first diesel.

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Doesn't sound like it....stupid question, are sure it was blue and it just wasn't a light cloud of black smoke with the sky behind it, it could look blue......you could always have a sample of your oil send out
Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am positive it was blue. I had an oil change yesterday.

Could it be the cause of this?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM

Regen?

Eric, I think you saw the results of a regen. My truck did the same thing the other day. When I was dropping the kid off at school in the stop & go traffic, the regen kicked in. When I finally was able to get through the line and school zone and kicked it, a cloud of white smoke was left behind. I thought someone behind me had wrecked, but it was from my truck. It immediately cleared up. It was like I was blowing out the junk in the DPF. If you continue to have the smoke, get to the dealer.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys!!

I am feeling better know about this. I do not want a 60K paper weight.

Eric
Old 12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
Thanks guys!!

I am feeling better know about this. I do not want a 60K paper weight.

Eric
No problem...Champ could have a point, its probably just the "left over" from the regen cycle being blown out....but if it does continue get it to the dealer
Old 12-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine does the same thing when it first goes into regen in colder temperatures.
Dealer said it was normal.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

definitly was in a regen , do not sweat it , when they are in regen , it can blow every color of smoke there is , just depends on the situation, thats the bad part about the new regen deal, the salesmen have no clue about these trucks so they cant really explain it to you when you buy them
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

comment on salespeople with the 6.4...I have a new PSD and sell them, my store now brings all the customer comments and complaints to me. I learn alot from what I hear on this forum and I own one. It is hard to show regen, and you have to think all your salesman has done, if your lucky, is watch the DVD. I read this track and know he is in regen; in the mornings and I hit regen it is really smokey because of the temps you see the hot gasses more. I smell it on my truck because they put mag chloride on the roads and it coats my pipes and stinks when it burns off. The regen has been a pain on the showroom also. I feel lucky if a truck goes in regen when I am with a client. I am not pointing fingers but if I talk about regen my customer doesn't listen until it happens. I do know for fact that most salespeople most likely avoid it becuse they don't know.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric81 View Post
Hi

I had the weirdest problem occur to me this morning. I was 0 degrees outside and started my truck like I usually do and got it running 10 minutes before leaving. I drove approximately 1 mile to an intersection and waited 2 minutes. I got on the freeway, looked behind and saw a cloud a cloud of blue smoke. I pulled over to the side, got out and the it was the smell of oil. Waited a few minutes, then it went away. I drove off, it has not come back.

Mileage: 9000 miles
Oil: Amsoil 5w40

No engine lights have come on. My dealer said he couldn't evaluate it if it didn't do it again.

Do I have a serious problem? This is my first diesel.

Eric
Same thing happened to me yesterday. When I got to work and put it in park, it went into Regen mode. I let it run for a few minutes but I had to get into the office. When I left later on yesterday I drove about 3 miles to a stoplight. When I pulled away from the light I noticed a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. So much, I turned around to see if there was a clunker car in my blind spot. There wasn't.

The smoke was definately Blue. Not black or White but blue.

I suspect, like others have said it's left over from the regen (at least I'm hoping that it is). My mileage is 11,000.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.