Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Upgrade this year maybe?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  strokinpower 
#1 ·
I may sell my '06 this year and upgrade again. If I do, it will either be a 6.4 or 6.7. Problem is, I don't know much about the pros or cons of each engine. Of course, I want as new as I can afford, but don't want to get into something I'll be pumping repair money into. What are some pros and cons of the 6.4? And are there better year models to look at where they fixed some issues from previous years?

#6 ·
Any individual vehicle can be a lemon. Get what you like and can afford. If it breaks, that's the chance we all take.

#7 ·
So 6.4's need a tuner, while the 6.7 does not?
Also, any issues with the 6.4 engine itself? As in, these things have to be done in order to be worry free.

#10 ·
I think they both need a tuner, especially the 6.7 so you can get rid of SCR. Some people have the belief that a stock 6.7L is more reliable than a stock 6.4L. Though a stock 6.7L has more torque and horsepower than a stock 6.4L, with the same mods, a 6.4L will make more power.
Again, if you're the lucky guy who never has a problem then it's great. If you're the unlucky guy who can't keep it running, you'll say it's crap.

People don't go to the doctor when they're feeling great, people don't post on forum when everything works.

#13 ·
how the hell did that happen!?!

and why do you wanna trade in the 6.0L? just bored and ready for a change?

#9 ·
Well, you can't worry about every thing that MIGHT go wrong, but you can take steps as I did in my 6.0 to not worry about going cross country without something breaking. Some things do and that's just part of it, but if you don't do regular maintenance things break fast. As in the 6.0, if you get the ford coolant out of it before you clog everything up, then head gaskets aren't much of a worry

#11 ·
Funny how a stock 6.7 which has more power will be less powerful than a 6.4 if same mods are done to both.

#12 ·
International (Navistar) built a great motor that was ruined by the EPA required emissions equipment in the Super Duty. Ford and Navistar got into a pissing contest over those issues (and others) and Ford decided to go in-house for the 6.7L... Doesn't surprise me at all.

Other info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_VT_engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.