Green parking thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Green parking thread

Probably not the right place to post this but I read a thread on a guy that sent in a letter to his work to be able to park his truck in the green vehicle parking and I would like to use some of the info for an essay I have to write for my writing class I'm writing about how clean diesel technology is good for the environment but killing the trucks

Heres what I have so far please feel free to correct me if I have some stuff wrong there is some stuff I might have said just to use in my uneducated on diesels class I'm in haha well please let me know what you think and if you can find the article that would be awesome Ive looked for about a half hour with nothing I cant remember where I saw it
Please keep in mind this is my rough draft haha

Clean Diesel Technology

Clean diesel technology good for the environment but bad for diesel trucks and their owners. I have been researching diesel pick up trucks a lot as I have been looking into buying a one. Ford Powerstrokes the 6.0 and 6.4 motors are the ones I have done most of my research on the 6.0 Power Stroke 2003-2007 and the 6.4 2008-2010. I want a 6.4 because they are the best power stroke you can buy for power and reliability, some will argue that the 7.3 are the best but I’m not here to argue about that. I’m here to talk about how the EPA is helping the environment but also they are killing the new diesel trucks with all the strict emissions the EPA have put in place on diesels from 2003-2013.

Starting in 2003 the EPA required Ford Diesels to have an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) this is where some of the exhaust gases are recycled back through a cooler and than into the intake of the truck to be burned more before being exhausted into the atmosphere. This helped to lower the carbon footprint of the three quarter and one-ton diesel pick-ups. The addition of the EGR system cost Ford millions of dollars in warranty claims. Everyone in the diesel community knows the 6.0 diesels had tons of problems. Most people who do not know much on the 6.0s or Power strokes in general make claims to the 6.0 being bad. This is not true the 6.0 have two main problems EGR and Head Gaskets. Two things, the TTY (torque to yield) bolts stretching and the EGR cooler cracking causes head gasket failures. So other then the bolts stretching the problems lead back to the EGR, It is known to crack and cause the truck to burn all its coolant either burning the motor up from getting to hot or causing it to hydro lock where the cylinder fills with coolant. You can make a 6.0 bullet proof by just deleting the EGR and studding it, which is putting a stud style bolt and nut instead of the TTY bolt that is meant to stretch when it is tightened.

After the 6.0 comes the almighty 6.4. Ford started making the 6.4 in 2008 when even more EPA Emissions were implied. In 2008 the EPA implied that new diesel pickups must have a DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) along with a EGR. The DPF is used to catch the soot a diesel engine produces i.e. the black smoke you see. This filter is pretty much a washer for the engine exhaust gases. It works very well by catching the soot in the filter. What hurts the motor are the regenerations this happens when the filter starts to clog the computer senses its not flowing properly and tells the motor to go into regen mood which pushes extra fuel into the seven and eight cylinders on the exhaust stroke of the piston causing 1500 degree heat to go through the turbo to heat the DPF so the soot will burn off. It is very hard on the turbos. It is pretty clean for the environment but not good for fuel efficacy. A truck with a DPF will see on average 12 MPG verses a truck that is tuned and deleted (get into that later) that gets 17-18 and has been reported to even get 20 MPG. I mentioned tuned and deleted now to explain what I meant by that, Many diesel owners choose to tune and delete their trucks it is better for them by having more power by advancing the tuning of the motor and deleting the DPF filter which in turn means no more regans so no more 1500+ degree exhaust gases going through your turbos. Also you can delete the EGR which means your engine is getting all fresh air and not recycled exhaust. I am the biggest 6.4 fan you will find! A tuned and deleted 6.4 is capable of 550+ Horsepower and 1000+ foot pounds of torque. (Spartan Diesel Technologies) and 18+ MPG. The bad thing about tuning and deleting a truck is that is a federal law that you cannot temper with the DPF and it must remain on the vehicle.

It’s sad that diesel truck owners can’t buy a diesel that should go 500,000+ miles and not be confident to own it past 100,000 when the warranty is up. It is nice that diesels are more efficient then a Toyota Prius, But it is slowly killing the truck

haha after reading it on here I've seen error that I've had to fix

Last edited by Garett742; 02-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Here is some help (I'm not going to go in depth but I need to clarify some terms for you):

The EPA did not "imply;" they implemented (if that is what you were going for). Imply would be to suggest. Implemented would be to put in place. Also, the DPF can be thought of as a scrubber (not a washer), but the word "filter" being part of the acronym DPF is the preferred term.

I would also avoid any statements that peg you as an enthusiast or that go into the realm of "increased performance" beyond minimal. Those are instant identifiers that your argument may be biased.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
Here is some help (I'm not going to go in depth but I need to clarify some terms for you):

The EPA did not "imply;" they implemented (if that is what you were going for). Imply would be to suggest. Implemented would be to put in place. Also, the DPF can be thought of as a scrubber (not a washer), but the word "filter" being part of the acronym DPF is the preferred term.

I would also avoid any statements that peg you as an enthusiast or that go into the realm of "increased performance" beyond minimal. Those are instant identifiers that your argument may be biased.
Ill make those changes! Thank you for actually replying!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM

I often wonder if the EPA actually realized how much more diesel is burned as a result of the DPF if even they would still consider it "green" not to mention the extra resources it takes to build these parts they now have to put on the trucks.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
I often wonder if the EPA actually realized how much more diesel is burned as a result of the DPF if even they would still consider it "green" not to mention the extra resources it takes to build these parts they now have to put on the trucks.
haha I know right! but they dont care about fuel used as long as its burned clean... idiots!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Ford didn't make the 6.0L or the 6.4L engine... FWIW.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Re: Green parking thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
They don't care.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Now that I'm off work, I think you should really spend a lot more time rewriting this. List what negative effects it has (cost, fuel efficiency, durability, overhead costs, etc.).

If you're writing about clean diesel initiatives and their negative effects, maybe you should talk about those more (like a lot more) instead of going over the specifics of the Ford 6.0 and 6.4. Use those two as examples of what has gone wrong rather than the case on which you build your argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.