Oil Change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
Oil Change

When would you all reccomend I do the first oil change? When I bought the truck I got a voucher for a free oil change. So this one will be on the dealership's dime. Unfortunately it's at the stealership that I hate, but if it's free I might as well use it.

I know some reccomend changing the oil after just a few hundred to a few thousand miles. Would love to know what you all think. Especially since I don't have pay for this one. Also would I be best served by trying to pay the difference for synthetic over dino. Dunno if will get far with this after my last visit at the dealership. Also, any minimum miles on dino before switching to synthetic?

This is what is RP site had to say:

Can I put Royal Purple into my brand new car?
Yes. Royal Purple currently offers many viscosity grades of API-licensed motor oils. To allow for proper break-in of the engine, Royal Purple recommends waiting until the manufacturer’s first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before using Royal Purple in diesel engines.

Last edited by Barchetta; 12-09-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
When would you all reccomend I do the first oil change? When I bought the truck I got a voucher for a free oil change. So this one will be on the dealership's dime. Unfortunately it's at the stealership that I hate, but if it's free I might as well use it.

I know some reccomend changing the oil after just a few hundred to a few thousand miles. Would love to know what you all think. Especially since I don't have pay for this one. Also would I be best served by trying to pay the difference for synthetic over dino. Dunno if will get far with this after my last visit at the dealership. Also, any minimum miles on dino before switching to synthetic?
go about every 5-6K on your 6.4 as long as your using ULSD fuel and its getting the CJ-4 oil every time...
Old 12-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
go about every 5-6K on your 6.4 as long as your using ULSD fuel and its getting the CJ-4 oil every time...
Roger that, wouldn't dream of using anything but ULSD and CJ-4. With towing as much as will be doing I don't ever want to go past 5k for oil changes. I have just read that some folks like to make their first oil change early on. Then regular intervals from that point forward.

Could installing a bypass oil filter ever come back and bite me in the rear with the new 6.4? Trying to stay away from having any future warranty claims being denied. The stealship I bought the truck from scared me from all but driving the damn thing. They also told me that using Stanadyne Performance Formula will void my warranty. I don't know what to believe any more about this engine. However you are the Master here Marc. So I hang on your every word!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:18 AM

Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM

I use Amsoil and change the oil every 25k and the filter every 12.5k and I don't have any problems. I am a dealer of Amsoil products and I use it in everything I own from my mustangs to my yfz 450. The stuff is awesome and I will never use anything else ever again! Amsoil equals "zero" wear! check out their site and if you want something let me know and I can order it for you. AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

They can also answer any questions you might have!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
I use Amsoil and change the oil every 25k and the filter every 12.5k and I don't have any problems. I am a dealer of Amsoil products and I use it in everything I own from my mustangs to my yfz 450. The stuff is awesome and I will never use anything else ever again! Amsoil equals "zero" wear! check out their site and if you want something let me know and I can order it for you. AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

They can also answer any questions you might have!
I love Amsoil too. Been using their motor oil and tranny fluild for years. I will for sure be putting that in.

Amsoil though doesn't say anything about breaking in the engine before using synthetic, but Royal Purple does. So I just didn't know what to do.

BTW, I see you run your oil to 25k. Do you have a bypass filter on it at all? Or just the stock filters?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
I love Amsoil too. Been using their motor oil and tranny fluild for years. I will for sure be putting that in.

Amsoil though doesn't say anything about breaking in the engine before using synthetic, but Royal Purple does. So I just didn't know what to do.

BTW, I see you run your oil to 25k. Do you have a bypass filter on it at all? Or just the stock filters?
I run the stock Amsoil filter on my 350 but plan on buying the bypass kit for it so I can run it longer.

My tranny I run the Amsoil torque-drive fluid in and I use the stock internal filter as well as an inline filter before my derale frame mounted cooler w/fan.

The temperature decrease is a big difference I have noticed. On my father-in-law's 2005 escalade he switched everthing over to amsoil and afterwards he took it into the dealership 3 times b/c he thought the tranny temp gauge was broken. It never moved. Amsoil told him they get those calls alot.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Any decently priced online vendors of Motorcraft oil/filters for our trucks?

Bill
Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM

I changed my 08 6.4L at 2800 on the clock and went to amsoil 5w-40 cj-4 and amsoil eao88 filter going to chenge every 4k or so until I get the fs2500 external filter then probably will extend to 7k
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
I changed the oil in my truck at 1000 miles to get the break-in oil out and I do it every 4k after that......I was letting the dealership put in what they used, but now I'm not in Dallas, I do it myself and I use Amsoil now....I got it from Shaw @ performance products...he gave me a sweet deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.