What's should I do next, and why not getting the MPG I expected? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's should I do next, and why not getting the MPG I expected?

Hey folks,

Just looking for some input. I have an 08 6.4. I was running it stock with the exception of an AFe stage II intake and getting 13.2 mpg average. I had a local guy cut off the DPF, tune the EGR off, and give me about 60 extra HP. I don't notice the HP gain at all unless I really floor it. I presume he did no fuel tuning as I still have about 3 second of bad lag at dead stop to WOT. I just went with this guy because he was close and I figured the DPF delete and retune was fairly simple. I wish I knew someone better around OKC who I could trust to tell me more a out what I could do to my truck and actually do the work for me.

Anyway, I'm only seeing a little over 1 MPG improvement. I was hoping to at least get it up to 15-16. Thoughts?

Also, what should I do next to this truck for longevity and performance? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

The highest horsepower gains are usually with mild and race tunes. Your higher horsepower tunes change fuel settings, turbo output and transmission settings. Did he set you up with a tuner or programmer?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Okay, this is actually a lot more complicated than you're letting on. Let's see:

How did he tune it?
Did he change any of the transmission settings?
Fueling changes?
Boost levels?
Did he turn the regen off?

Those are just a few things to start with. Next,

Where are you recording your MPG readings? Is everything consistent/repeatable?

My truck gained only about 1-2 MPG city driving. Highway it gained 3-4.5 MPG. You need to give a lot more information than you're giving to get a better answer.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
Hey folks,

Just looking for some input. I have an 08 6.4. I was running it stock with the exception of an AFe stage II intake and getting 13.2 mpg average. I had a local guy cut off the DPF, tune the EGR off, and give me about 60 extra HP. I don't notice the HP gain at all unless I really floor it. I presume he did no fuel tuning as I still have about 3 second of bad lag at dead stop to WOT. I just went with this guy because he was close and I figured the DPF delete and retune was fairly simple. I wish I knew someone better around OKC who I could trust to tell me more a out what I could do to my truck and actually do the work for me.

Anyway, I'm only seeing a little over 1 MPG improvement. I was hoping to at least get it up to 15-16. Thoughts?

Also, what should I do next to this truck for longevity and performance? Thanks all.

Honestly, I would say you didn't research your plan well IMO. A dedicated tuner, intake and exhaust would have gotten you there, with more options than you could probably use... but nice to have. The majority of your fuel savings will come from having removed the regen function and will be realized over tanks...

I gained nearly 100 miles per tank after modding. Then I lost about 60 miles per tank with the lift and tires. Still on the plus side and with way more power...
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM

What type of tuner/programmer are you using? Your mods are very simple and any experienced tuner should be able to set you up with a nice tune that will work well for you.

I have been told that usually the high HP tunes yield the best MPG if you keep your foot out of it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Check out the mods sticky... High tunes yield higher mpg if you don't hot rod it everywhere.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a tuner or programmer. He just wrote the tune to the truck. I really don't know what kind of tuning he did to the truck. He had three tunes to choose from, tow, street, and racing. I chose the +60 HP tow tune. The street tune was +90, and I forget what the race tune was. I didn't want to get anything drastic as my primary objective here was to remove the DPF. Yes, he turned off regen mode and turned the EGR valve off in the tune.

Honestly I was just in a bit of a hurry to get the DPF taken off because my fuel mileage had a steady decrease and I'm pretty sure the thing was stuck in regen mode. I drove it like that for 2 days and immediately took it to get the DPF removed.

The fuel mileage I have in the OP was hand calculated and consistent and repeatable.

I would love a dedicated tuner, but at the time probably won't shell out the cash. I have a performance intake, and the exhaust is straight besides the muffler.

Should I seriously consider just purchasing a dedicated tuner or should I do some networking and find a local who can really give me a good tune? I obviously prefer a dedicated tuner/programmer. I run one in a cummins I have. I am just trying to figure out whether or not it's worth it to have an experienced guy write me a better tune for the time being or if I just need to buy a module.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonTW View Post
Should I seriously consider just purchasing a dedicated tuner or should I do some networking and find a local who can really give me a good tune? I obviously prefer a dedicated tuner/programmer. I run one in a cummins I have. I am just trying to figure out whether or not it's worth it to have an experienced guy write me a better tune for the time being or if I just need to buy a module.

Thanks for the input guys.

Funds are always the primary factor. Totally understandable. I stand by my original post. A canned tune from Spartan or H&S is great for the 99 percenters, The other 1 percent are in it for the bragging.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I don't know how he is writing tunes, but a dedicated tuner also is able to accept custom tunes. +60 or +90 isn't "drastic" I run a +300 tune daily. I net close to 17MPG also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM

I don't know how much he charged you, but it's these kinds of questions you're asking right now that you wouldn't have to worry about if you bought one of the tuners that just about every 6.4 forum recommends (Mini Maxx/XRT Pro or Spartan) which makes that money well-spent. You could change tunes whenever you wanted and you'd have a known quantity and product to deal with. Plus, unless this guy is seriously good, I doubt he's just going to write a tune that's better than what the H&S or Spartan guys put out unless he's running it on a dyno and tuning that way. 60+, 90+, and even 150+ HP on a 6.4 is pretty minor. I know they seem like big numbers on most other trucks, but on this thing, you can double all those numbers without even trying. These are just plug-and-play tunes.

We're all going to have to guess because we have no idea what this guy did to your truck. A tuner like the Mini/XRT Pro or Spartan takes about 20 minutes to install initially and then it's ready to go. I don't know how much faster you would've wanted it, but I'm guessing this guy took longer than that.

I was basically asking if you were calculating this off of highway or city driving. If in the city, what kind of stop and go is it? How long are your average trips? Hills? Loaded? This all makes a huge difference.

So, my advice is to run a few tankfuls with the tune and keep out of the boost. Report back with some mileage and see how it compares. If you're tuned in the city (average city), you should be somewhere around 13-15.5 MPG and on the highway 14-18 MPG (all hand calculated). Usually those are achieved with big HP tunes (250+ HP). The torque converter lock up may help as well (some of us lock it up at lower speeds). Again, with the tuners mentioned above, these are all known quantities and it's a lot easier to help you. Until we find out what he did, it may be impossible to suggest ways to improve it or of something is wrong.

I know you probably hate to hear this, but it may be time to go pick one of those tuners up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.