Lets hear you maintenance check lists - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lets hear you maintenance check lists

I know if you do proper maintenance on diesels they will last a long time. Currently I'm changing oil/filter every 5k with rotella t6 and rev x, fuel filters every 10k, drain my water separater every few weeks, check fluids regulary, balance/rotate tires every 5k, and clean my air filter as needed. I was just wondering if I'm missing anything that you guys do on a regular maintenance basis. If you could, give me a write up of your guy's maintenance schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yup that's about what everyone is doing. Some go longer on oil by doing an oil analysis but you got a good pattern going. What about tranny flush, when is that needed since we are on maintenance schedules. I haven't had time to crack open the owners manual but a buddy of mine said it was at 30k and I just hit 30. I want to go through and do the diff's too soon
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM

I've got 90k on the ticker and took a trip to VA beach recently (live in SW MI) and wanted to do some maintenance done before I went since I just got the truck this summer and didn't know what was done by the previous owner. Since I have a job 1 I have the external tranny filter and wanted to change it. Took it in to have the tranny flushed at about just over 80k. The mechanic said the fluid looked perfect and was barely any metal shavings on the magnet and was in the best shape he has ever seen for a truck with that many miles on it. Needless to say he said for the price of the filter I'd be fine leaving the external filter on and just flushing the fluid and changing the internal filter. I also changed the rear diff fluid at about 75k. I did that because I read on here that since my "limited slip" was/is a one wheel wonder it'd be a good starting point before rebuilding the rear end to see if that'd fix the problem.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 AM

You run rev x in your 6.4? Have you noticed any difference? I just added some archoil ar2300 this oil change.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM

I have noticed that it runs smoother and quieter, if that was possible it was really quiet when I got it!! I have noticed a few 1/10s better in fuel economy but not much. I'll keep running it though
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM

Lets hear you maintenance check lists

Pretty much the same. I would also recommend a transmission fluid change as well as upgrading your coolant to a Cat EC-1 rated coolant.
Might as well replace the differential and transfer case fluid as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just out of curiosity, is there something special about the diff's in these trucks that require changing the diff fluid often? Reason I ask is I've had several F150's that went well over 100k miles on the factory fill, with regular towing.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Most guys (myself included) like to do all the fluids at some point after they buy used. You don't know if the truck has ever gotten water into the diffs or how old the fluid is exactly when you buy used. I still have to do my diffs on mine because I have no clue how old the fluid is. Just piece of mind because fluid is a lot cheaper than a failure because the previous owner had never maintained properly...
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM

What's different on this truck than an F150? For one, physical size of every component. Don't take for granted the extra abuse and pressures this truck puts on everything: gears, fluids, etc. The fluids take a beating in this truck.

What you're doing now is fine maintenance-wise. You should probably regularly check radiator and power steering levels. Change the brake fluid every year or two. Same with with transfer case fluid.

Trans fluids probably do best with occasional drain + refills. Rear diff is 100k. Front diff is 150k. That's a pretty long time in my opinion. Don't know what people expect there beyond that.

Check the suspension pretty often while changing oil. Look for broken boots, loose parts (hard to check by hand on this thing), fluid leaks, etc.

Look at the fuel cooler. Check brake pads and rotors. You can do most of these things pretty quickly if you do them regularly (like during oil changes).

That's about it.

Last edited by Doss; 02-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Cool, think I've got a pretty good grasp on it then! Where is the fuel cooler though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.