Squeaky Pulleys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Squeaky Pulleys

If any of you are having the same trouble I am with a sqeaking noise when you start up in colder temperatures there is a new TSB out. TSB 07-23-9. They replace the idler pulley and tension pulley. Only thing is I picked the truck up this morning and it still sqeaks. TSB dosen't call for a new belts but the service guy is going to call Ford and see if the belt should be changed.

I'll update when I take it back to the dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

all my trucks have done this in the cold. dont pay much attention to it anymore
Old 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Let us know how it turns out, my old 96 has done that this season more than usual, of course it may be something else?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:22 PM

My 08 does the same thing, Sounds like a belt or pulley. I am taking it in this week. Let me know about the belt... thanx
Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have a rattle coming from that idler puller when its cold out unless its the alternator
Old 12-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Both my 02 and 96 do it. I put new bearings in all the pullys(the 2 idles and the one tens) and that still didn't fix the problem. Took the pullys off again and took a pick and took the seals off the new bearings and packed them with a good grease. Seems to help a little,but still have a little squeek. Haven't changed the belt yet,but I bet it'll take care of the problem. If it doesn't cure the problem,oh well,I've lived with it for long enough that I hardly even notice it anymore. Let us know how you make out on getting a belt for free.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM

I wrote this almost two years ago. I had the same symptoms you guys are describing. I hope for your sake it's not the same thing. This was on my 03 6.0.

Quote:
As far as troubles here goes.

Brought in at one month for mysterious belt squeal when not up to full temp.
They changed one alternator, a couple of pullies and both serp. belts.

Brought in at two months for same. Changed belts again. (this stopped the squealing for a short time each time they changed them)

Brought in at 4 months for same thing and a patch of paint about 4" around on my front bumper that just flaked off and was still growing. They painted the bumper and told me they were waiting on a service bulletin before they were going to change belts again.

At about one year the rear seat had some stitching that was unraveling.

At 1.5 years I wanted everything that was wrong taken care of since I was approaching the 36k mile mark. So they changed out the door sill gaskets that squeaked like crazy, replaced the left mirror because the hinge had little to no paint left on it and was corroding/pitting, shot some kind of lube into my door latch to make the door ajar switch work again, flashed the comp., and started the diagnosis on the squeaking belts.

Two months later they tell me they figured it out. It aparantly was the crankshaft thrust tolerance. It was way out of limits and was allowing things to eat into the block while it was running. So they R/R the engine.

I have to have it towed back in a couple days later since the metal shavings in the high pressure oil pump have clogged it and stopped the fuel from pumping up. They replace that and I think the filter, I'm not sure. I would of thought they would of done that while replacing the engine.

Even with all the trouble I have had in the past, I still dig this truck. It was and still is the only one that appeals to me aesthetically inside and out. And it does exactly what I want it to do, which is pull azz loads of weight while yawning with a level of control and safety that I have never experienced before with other vehicles. When I load up and take a fifteen hour trip loaded to the hilt, I no longer feel tapped out. Being able to relax while you're driving really helps in the long runs. That's worth a lot in my book.

Oh and I haven't had any more problems since last year.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:58 PM

I think it was a common thing with the 7.3, running so much stuff off of one belt that isn't very wide to begin with. Its got to be about 30 degrees or below before mine even start to do it. Its not a very loud noise either. I think I would of noticed the metal shavings about 100,000 miles ago if that was the problem. But who knows maybe I wouldn't have. I'll pay real close att. next time I change the oil. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.