Finished HG and stud job!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finished HG and stud job!!!

So I finally got to doing my head gaskets and studs they blew in sept. well one blew but I thought better do them now, so I took a few vacation days "****ty way to wast vacation by the way". Started last thursday and finished sunday. This was my first one so there was a learning curve. With 56000 miles the engine was clean that made it a little better. I also did the egr delete while I was there. I did not get crazy on it because this was on a budget and it is not a racer it is my everyday driver. Anyways I went with OEM head gaskets and ARP studs, only problems I had were that I did not clean the silicone boots before re-installing them so they popped off but that was a side note to the fact that I did not read the full instructions to the egr delete and removed the exhaust connection and with that I removed the exhaust gas pressure sensor, big mistake. I figured it out on my own after watching the boost pressure running crazy and putting 2+2 together. So instead of returning the pipe and losing a few more hours I pulled the block off pipe drilled and tapped it to 1/4 npt. installed the fitting rebent the tube for the sensor, rerouted the wire and boom problem fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work12.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work11.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work9.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work8.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work7.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM

more pics

Here are more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work6.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work5.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work4.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work3.jpg   Finished HG and stud job!!!-truck-work1.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

good job...you're a handy guy....you wrench for a living ?? ....sure wish i had your caperbility.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Wow what a vacation! That there motor is gonna thank you for the studs and EGR delete!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

How hard was it? Im thinking of doing it this summer. Did you do any work to the heads? If not then did you at least check them? Also any tips of any precautions?!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Looks good!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM

I was a mechanic, now I work on production equipment for ZF steering. The job was not hard but it is very time consuming there is a lot of plumbing for coolant, fuel, and various other lines, and maybe a dozen electrical connections. I did not need any special tools other than a li ft for the body. Once the heads were off I cleaned and inspected them at my shop at work. The truck never over heated but I checked them for flatness on the gasket surface and I found no problems so I re-installed them.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Really nice job, my truck is jealous of yours!

I'm thinking of getting this done this summer as well but I wouldn't try it by myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Well 4000k just for studs is a big ***** slap to my wallet
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM

As far as tips take your time buy some different color tape to mark connectors and probably label hoses. Take some pics before you tear things down just in case you have a question later. Also I would invest in magnetic pans or zip lock bags to keep the hardware separate. Have a torch ready for the exhaust bolts, that exhaust gets hot so you will need to heat the bolts up to remove them. Save a large box for your valve train, so you can organize the push rods and rockers, and don't forget to label each cylinders parts on the box including labeling them intake and exhaust. Invest in some cans of brake clean, so you can clean and remember clean parts are your friends. Doing it myself saved me a lot of money, so if you have access to a lift and time and the ability to do the job then you can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.