How do the 08 and up trucks ride? Bounce @ 45-50 MPH? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How do the 08 and up trucks ride? Bounce @ 45-50 MPH?

Hey guys, I'm asking up from the 6.0 group so don't blast me for a stupid question.

Within the club that I belong to, we have several trucks that experience a rearend "bounce" between 45 and 50 MPH. We have narrowed down spring codes and determined that we haven't figured out crap. We will have one truck bounce and one truck not with the same spring code. We are certain that it is spring related because when loaded the trucks won't do it and a couple of us have experimented with adding a Super Leaf helper to ours. The helper narrowed the window in which it happens but does not make it go away.

So, what I am asking is do the 08 and up trucks with the longer leaf springs have this bounce? I have seen some write ups on swapping the 08 springs onto a 99-07 but I haven't found reasoning as to why, other than if Ford done it then it must be right. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the longer spring flatter when installed?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I had the same cab and bed configuration on my 05 and my 2010. Both had the same tool boxes, same tires, same stock shocks everything. There is hardly any weight at the back end of my truck since its such a short wheel base and most of the weigh is over the front axle. When loaded down the truck rides really smooth. But when empty the springs in the back aren't compressed at all and is real stiff and being an f350 there isn't much you can do about it. Yeah the ride is stiff but it doesn't bounce? I'm not real sure exactly what you guys are feeling. I do notice that now with traction bars if I hit a bump it kinda hops it feels like but it could have done it before and I just didn't notice it until after I put these on and paid attention. Give us some more info on what happens or what it feels like. When u hit a bump, the front will barely feel it because it has weight over it and the shocks and coil springs can do there job but since the back end isn't compressed at all with no weight in the bed it feels the bumps bad and hops. But to get the payload our trucks have ya got to have a stiff enough suspension or else it squats. If your wanting a better ride, I don't think your gonna get it with stock suspension lol. It's a truck. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine has the bounce you're referring to. Will have to see if it's related to tires/wheels, I'm getting new rims and tires tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: How do the 08 and up trucks ride? Bounce @ 45-50 MPH?

I completely agree on it's a truck. I don't think any of us are expecting or want for the truck feel to go away.

What we get is at a steady speed between 45-50 on smooth pavement it feels like the rearend of the truck is bouncing. On rough pavement where the suspension is working you won't feel it. On the trucks that do it the worse, you can see the rear corner of the bed hopping in the driver's mirror. If you get to either side of the speed they smooth out. I know the obvious answer is to avoid those speeds but it's hard to when you are daily driving in traffic.

How about this question, in a 6.4 truck at a steady 47 mph on smooth pavement running in traffic, is it smooth or does it bounce from the rearend?

Thanks again, a couple of us have made this our pet project and it's driving us nuts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM

I have the bounce you speak of. Ride is rough as a cobb too. It's more likely to be the crappy stock shocks than springs, so I'm going to try Bilstein shocks to smooth it out a bit.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
What we get is at a steady speed between 45-50 on smooth pavement it feels like the rearend of the truck is bouncing. On rough pavement where the suspension is working you won't feel it. On the trucks that do it the worse, you can see the rear corner of the bed hopping in the driver's mirror. If you get to either side of the speed they smooth out. I know the obvious answer is to avoid those speeds but it's hard to when you are daily driving in traffic.

How about this question, in a 6.4 truck at a steady 47 mph on smooth pavement running in traffic, is it smooth or does it bounce from the rearend?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Mine has this same exact bounce and its driving me crazy!! However I know mine is from something in my suspension. When it was at stock ride height it road as smooth as a one ton could. I then put a 3.5" level, bilsteins all around, 7" rear block w/traction bars, and 35" duratracs on all at once. Since then I have the bounce and its real rymthic at 45-50. Not a spurattic bounce. I also have a slight vibration from 5-10 mph in my floor board. I talked to newton lifts where I got the traction bars from and he told me to mess with the carrier bearing shim and the preload on the bars. I know it's not on the stock setup but the aftermarket setup does the same exact thing you're describing
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
All four of my Super Duty's have had this problem. I have never figured it out.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM

I know mine won't help but my lift with ladder bars there is 0 bounce. The ladders bars stop that from happening.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM

How do the 08 and up trucks ride? Bounce @ 45-50 MPH?

I have it at 58-62. If I load my air bags up to 50 or above it goes away-loaded or not. It used to be at the 48mph area and shims were put in the driveline, that's when the bounce went to the higher mph. I'm thinking on mine it is the angle of the drive shaft since I can control it with the air shocks lifting up the back end a bit. The bounce goes away but the ride becomes like a tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM

No bounce on mine at 86k miles. Short bed CC 4x4 with toolbox (probably about 150 lbs of stuff in there).

Running 20" rims with 285/65-20s inflated at 65 psi cold. When I ran them at 80 psi cold, they were much more harsh but still didn't bounce.

Of course, on rough bumpy uneven roads the rear is completely unsettled, but that's to be expected on an unloaded 4x4. Rides much better with about 500 lbs in the bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.