Clueless - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clueless

Tonight on my commute my truck stuttered and my wrench light came on. I was almost to my destination when the truck slammed down into 4th gear.

It remained stuck in 4th. So I got where I was going, put the truck in reverse and it wouldnt shift out of neutral. There was a small puddle of something on the ground where I was parked. I assume tranny fluid?

I shut the truck off and then it wouldn't start. Agreed a few minutes it finally started so I went for a drive. It wouldn't shift out of 4th until it slammed down and got stuck in 3rd. It still will not go into reverse.

I'm taking tmr off to try and figure it out.

Does anybody PLEASE have any suggestions of things to try? My guess is something with the computer or torque converter?? I don't know

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Do you have any way to pull codes and post them up?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM

Yeah, we're going to need some codes. Are you deleted/tuned?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Clueless

Negative all stock right now. Except for an intake

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM

have you determined what that puddle was yet?

what was your transmissions temperature when all of this was happening?

you didn't by chance run over something in the road previous to this, or been off road?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
have you determined what that puddle was yet?

what was your transmissions temperature when all of this was happening?

you didn't by chance run over something in the road previous to this, or been off road?
No. I'm thinking the puddle was from a car that was previously parked there. Idk my tranny temp. And no I don't think I hit anything. But I could have hit a block of ice or slushy snow. I'm in northern Ohio and I work for ODOT so I drive in bad weather constantly.

I think I'm going to go out and unhook the batteries for a while and see if it will reboot the computer to c if that's the problem.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 AM

I was focusing on the lines-to-cooler, and thinking one may have been injured or ruptured- like, something hit them or they are bent/kinked..

it sounds like you've lost hydraulic pressure, is the basis of my concern..

edited to add: there is a thermostatically controlled valve in the transmission that diverts 90% of flow back to the transmission when operating temperatures have not reached 165*, and allows 10% to circulate to the cooler..

here are a few "If's":

If that valve is clogged up with debris, it stands to reason that more than 90* of the flow is being constricted
If that valve isn't allowing flow to circulate, the transmission will get hot internally while having nice cool oil on the other side of the valve- and if the transmission is overheating internally, it will do funky things.. And, it's possible the transmission will starve for fluid to- which could also be the cause of your situation...

I don't know where the temperature sensor/sender is located in these things.. it 'may' be in such a location that a reading form it isn't telling the true story of it's condition.. if it's on the hot side (exiting the trans heading toward cooler) you'll see it on the dash gauge.. if it's 'after' the thermostatic valve, you may not see the temperature on the dash..

all the same, from what you've described it seems to me you've lost pressure somewhere.. an external leak would be easy in this case- but if you're losing flow due to an internal valve, then that can be a booger to figure.. If I'm not crazy, I think you can get a snap-on scanner hooked up that monitors pressures.. that would be a good start if there is nothing obvious (like a puddle or a kink)..

Last edited by drewactual; 02-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: Clueless

Okay. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I have almost no experience with transmissions so I'm blind about this. I think I'll call a ford dealer. Or should I just call a transmission shop?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM

something along those lines would be my guess, is all.. you're going to have to pull those codes to be able to figure out your issue in particular.. it just sounds to me, based on what you've shared, that it is a flow issue...

if you've got a warranty, I'd head to the dealer.. if not, I'd find a reputable transmission shop to work with..
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Clueless

Yeah I'm heading to the only tranny shop around this afternoon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.