Possible MPG Ford mod coming out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Possible MPG Ford mod coming out

One of the other diesel tech was at the Ford training center here in Dallas and was talking to our FSE ( Field Service Engineer). Apparently Ford has been looking into this whole 'MPG sucks' thing and have found that the air dam (chin spoiler) whatever you want to call it, isnt long enough and is causing too much air to go under inside the engine compartment and is causing a parachute effect... I didint get the part number from the guy but be on the lookout. They were installing one on the training truck to get their view on it. From what we have been told they have been seeing 5-8mpg increases.

:crossing fingers for you guys:

Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 05:54 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
5-8 mpg increases sounds high to me... but hell, I hope it's wrong!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
that would be sweet if they get it to work. it would be good for the 6.4 owners!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
Holy Crap!!! Now that would be one hell of an improvement. I already get 21mpg on the highway. I am also guessing that this mod would only work at higher speeds. Won't really help out the city driving.

Please keep us abreast of this development. I am sure all us would love get that mod done.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM

First you mean to tell me that a longer lower valance will get you 5-8 more MPG??? Barchetta are you really getting 21?? That almost osunds impossible since every other 08 is onlyh gettin half that if lucky.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Emergency Services

5-8 would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lilredpowerstroke- It wouldnt be suprised to see Barchetta getting 21 mpg, I have done several testings with my truck and my fuel mileage depends on the way I drive. I have driven town and highway checking my mileage, if I drive sensibly I can get 17-19 on the highway keeping my speed under 75. In town I drop down to 13/14 if I drive sensibly. This is with only 2500 miles on my truck.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro7100 View Post
5-8 would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lilredpowerstroke- It wouldnt be suprised to see Barchetta getting 21 mpg, I have done several testings with my truck and my fuel mileage depends on the way I drive. I have driven town and highway checking my mileage, if I drive sensibly I can get 17-19 on the highway keeping my speed under 75. In town I drop down to 13/14 if I drive sensibly. This is with only 2500 miles on my truck.

You are right about the mileage. I don't drive the truck hard so that helps a lot. When I was getting 21mpg I had just filled up at the TA and hit I-75. I didn't drive more than about 63mph though. It took it about 12 miles to creep up 21mpg and then just stayed there.

My overall average however is about 15 +/- .3mpg When I hooked a trailer 2 days ago, I was getting about 15.4 on the interstate doing 65. Trailer was a feather weight at 3k lbs.

I think a lot of this MPG stuff has to do with the right foot.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM

I think a lot of this MPG stuff has to do with the right foot.[/QUOTE]

Thats really true, on my way to work which is about 35 miles i've gotten my mpg all the way up to 20mpg on the other hand i normally see 12-14 because i have a severe case of right foot syndome!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
thats what I believe....my truck's(05 6.0) been getting over 18 quite often when doing it by hand....but when people ride with me they say I drive like an old man(I'm 25! lol). I've driven it harder, getting up on-ramps faster, not driving in the slow lane....and it has pushed down to to 15.7-16.2 range easy.

I think alot of people automatically expect great mileage from a diesel regardless of how they drive.....I know I did.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
You are right about the mileage. I don't drive the truck hard so that helps a lot. When I was getting 21mpg I had just filled up at the TA and hit I-75. I didn't drive more than about 63mph though. It took it about 12 miles to creep up 21mpg and then just stayed there.

My overall average however is about 15 +/- .3mpg When I hooked a trailer 2 days ago, I was getting about 15.4 on the interstate doing 65. Trailer was a feather weight at 3k lbs.

The only way to check mpg is to divide miles by gallons. I have a cousin that gets fighting mad because he swears his 7.3 get 24 mpg. He is going by the readout not the math....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.