2009 6.4 wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 6.4 wont start

just looking for some help i have a 2009 6.4 f350 i bought that needed an engine ive had 7.3 and 6.0l and have done everything to them anyways long story short installed a new long block and now cant get it to start i have bleed the low pressure fuel system cant get anymore air out cracked the high pressure lines while cranking cant see any more air there either the truck fires almost like its going to start just wont, no codes triple checked everything i have hours and hours into cranking and bleeding anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where did your long block come from?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

diesel services group in alberta
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 PM

So you have fuel in the upper bowl? All wires are hooked up? Is the starter rolling over and it's just not firing? Does it begin to start but just not continue? What kind of sound is it making? Slow? Normal? (Combustion events)

Smoke? We need as many details as possible.

Also, I'd call the guys up in Alberta and ask them about what could possibly be wrong.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 AM

Did you use the special tool to bleed at the fuel cooler? I forget the part number from Ford...
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i will be as detailed as possible, theres fuel everywhere fuel filter housings are full, as well as the fuel cooler i watched a video online and mad my own bleed tools hooked them up and waited for all the air bubbles to finish, when u crank the engine over it spins good according to the tach on the dash its probably rotating at 250-300 rpm off the starter, the engine is firing it sounds like it needs two more rpm and its going to go, i hvae checked every plug on the engine i can find there are no codes in the computer i have a small reader it does not do detail info, i did an amp draw test and its drawing 120 amps as soon as you turn the key on which maks me believe the 8 glow plugs are drawing about 15 amps each everything seems to cycle correctly on the dash, i havent noticed smoke coming out of the tail pipe i did remove the air filter and after trying to start it with the air filter removed theres smoke coming out of there, according to the engine guys they think theres an air lock, when i first tryed to get it going even though i bleed the system it did not fire the more i cycled and tryed to bleed and crank over all of a sudden it started firing, this makes me believe it could be air locked but i have blead and cycled and cranked for hours last time i blead no air bubbles and almost ran, i even have the block heater plugged in
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Your reader probably isn't picking up all the codes there. You need the Ford IDS software, or Auto Enginuity, my XRT-PRO even misses some ford codes...your flying blind without the ability to see what's really going on...and something isn't right, find someone with AE (updated CAN Ford version) or the Ford IDS... That will tell you the issue...or lead you to it through codes and streaming PID's...like fuel trims, you probably need them reset, you ecu is still set up for your old motor I would assume...

Last edited by rt_hawk; 02-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM

Spend $100 at the dealer and have them figure it out, then you can fix it...it will save you loads of time!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its on the trailer now i just live in a small town out of the way so the closest dealers an hour and a half away. thanks for your help though i just thought it was strange that it ran fine took apart put back together now it wont run?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Not a problem, please fill us in when you figure out the issue or what was going on...good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.