DPF - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF

I was wondering if it common for the DPF to run through the cleaning cycle once a week? Just curious before I go spend the money to get it cleaned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: DPF

Depending on driving style and distance, yes, you could have 2, 3 or more runs. The most common reason for more regen's is that it didn't finish the previous runs. After that comes towing. Followed by stop and go traffic and short trips. Last would be highway driving which should result in the least amount of regen's. Bad fuel or high bio content fuel can also cause increased regen's.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM

I would save the money your going to spend to have it cleaned and just get rid of it and save your self a lot of headache and better fuel economy.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Marine View Post
I would save the money your going to spend to have it cleaned and just get rid of it and save your self a lot of headache and better fuel economy.
words of wisdom! do it you wont regret it
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Ok so it is not uncommon, but am I supposed to have blue smoke blowing out the exhaust during the cycle? Would the diesel 911 help clean out the system and other parts of the engine? I know getting rid of the DPF is a general consensus, but it is not ideal for me at this time. I do not have a programmer and it is not going to cost me that much to have it cleaned.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Once these trucks fo over a certain mileage I have witnessed them smoking a little during regen. The stock trucks at my place of employment smoke a little so it doesn't seem abnormal. The owners son had his deleted and tuned so all we ever seen from his rig was black smoke. I would say service "oil&filters" regularly, try to stay with decent fuel from a reputable gas station and run some fuel additives once in awhile.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM

I would agree with all the above. I wouldn't run diesel 911 though it has alcohol in and can potentially damage your high pressure fuel pump. For and additive I just run diesel Kleen or standyne. There are a lot of other ones out there. Just do a thread search for fuel additives and a ton of info will come up. Just remember these 6.4s are very sensitive and small screw up can cost you a ton.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Make sure your regen finishes before shutting the truck off. If you keep turning the truck off during a regen, it'll just restart once you get engine warmed up again. This will start burning a lot of fuel quickly.

To find out if the truck is regen'ing, go through a system check and look at the last message it puts up (it'll saying "Cleaning Exhaust Filter").
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help in this. Coming from a regular gas Dodge Ram, which I knew just about everything for the upkeep and maintenance I really appreciate the insight and will look for the additives. This is the first time owning a diesel and I am definitely still learning a lot and have more to learn.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM

You can find DieselKleen at wal mart or any autoparts store. In silver bottle...white bottle if you live in cold winter environment...stops gelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.