Would you buy another 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you buy another 6.4?

Hey guys I was thinking about upgrading my old reliable 7.3 to a nice 6.4 but I want to get your real honest opinion on them. I watch this section of the forum but naturally when you have a problem everyone posts on a forum so impressions can be skewed.

Tell me what you like, dont like, and if you would ever buy another 6.4 or if I am idiot for considering selling my 7.3 with 306k miles and going strong. The last thing I want is another 6.0 like I previously had.

The truck I am looking at is 08 F250 with 99k miles 4x4 with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited by StrokinNSmokin6.0; 01-31-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM

if power on the cheap is your goal, go for it...

if having enough power to do most jobs, longevity, and reliability is you goal- stick with the 7.3...

this durn 6.4 is the most temperamental gadget I've ever owned... but it sure is fun!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Power on the cheap is not really my goal. I m just wanting something a little newer for the better ride, more creature comforts and more power for towing my trailer and toys is always a plus.

I just don't want something that I am going to have to take into the shop or be constantly working on or throwing money at to keep it running. Why is yours temperamental and what sort of issues are you fighting?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM

I love my 6.4...favorite truck I've owned. I would buy another one before I buy a 6.7. The 6.7 is nice but they don't make a lot of power with aftermarket products, compared to a 6.4 right now.

If you like the 7.3, stick with it. Just don't go test drive a newer truck or you'll see what you're missing with the interiors and ride quality that a 7.3 lacks.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM

mine is really not tempermental.. I've only had one issue since owning it- a fuel rail pressure sensor- I've put about 10k miles on it is all..

it's temperamental because this place gives me the heepeejeepees about it.. I'm constantly watching the gauges.. I often turn down the radio and listen to the engine/drivetrain whilst driving about.. I constantly wait for the other shoe to drop.. I'm way too concerned about head gaskets giving up the ghost.. I change oil and have it analyzed which is something I've never done in 40 years of working on engines.. I change filters way too often.. I clean the dang thing not so much to keep it purty, but to be able to spot an issue before it blossoms into a problem..

it's not like your 7.3, which can take a .454 cassul to the block at muzzle velocity, and you still know it will get you and your cargo home..
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM

My truck is currently getting a new short block and some injectors under warranty...I would still buy another one.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've heard all the horried stores around the 6.0 but i still bought a 2006 with 100k on it i checked it all out before hand. I got to say I'm glade i got my truck i love it. Yeah i'm going to delete the egr and put an exhaust and tune on it this spring and regular maint is a must but i do that with every truck i've owned.It has a good amount of power,desent fuel mileage the later year 6.0 haven't been that bad with althose owners i've talk to who live around me and there are alot of SD 6.0 owners around you can't drive a mile down the road on any givin day an not pass two. Just my in put i'm a new owner take it for what it's worth
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM

Re: Would you buy another 6.4?

I love mine and would absolutely buy another one. Mine has 170,000 miles and I've put 15,000 on out in the year I've had it and only had 2 issues. The high pressure fuel pump from 2 bad tanks of fuel in 2 days and a leaking radiator. Other than that it has been great.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM

If you maintain it right it will be a good truck for you. I view the 6.4 as Ford's EPA equipment guinea pig. Because of that some have no problems and some do. However you can just bullet proof it and delete all the emissions equipment if need be. Ive had mine for almost 2 years now and have 99K on it. Great truck.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoleboy45 View Post
I've heard all the horried stores around the 6.0 but i still bought a 2006 with 100k on it i checked it all out before hand. I got to say I'm glade i got my truck i love it. Yeah i'm going to delete the egr and put an exhaust and tune on it this spring and regular maint is a must but i do that with every truck i've owned.It has a good amount of power,desent fuel mileage the later year 6.0 haven't been that bad with althose owners i've talk to who live around me and there are alot of SD 6.0 owners around you can't drive a mile down the road on any givin day an not pass two. Just my in put i'm a new owner take it for what it's worth
I have had 2 6.0's my 03 I should have never sold but it was when the FICM was having so many issues no one had a fix and changing them every 4-6 months was expensive. My 06 King Ranch was a POS it spent more time in the shop or in my garage with the hood up (when it was out of warranty) than it did on the road. That thing ate turbos for lunch.

I am glad to hear yours is running great and I know that some of the 6.0's are good and I had one but the 06 makes me very hesitant.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
I love mine and would absolutely buy another one. Mine has 170,000 miles and I've put 15,000 on out in the year I've had it and only had 2 issues. The high pressure fuel pump from 2 bad tanks of fuel in 2 days and a leaking radiator. Other than that it has been great.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
That is not bad for 170k miles and I appreciate the response! Have you put a new transmission in it or do any heavy hauling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.