First service - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First service

Did the first service on my 2010 6.4 bought the truck with 14,000 miles dealer said it was serviced but well you know he's a car salesman I figured I would get a good starting point for service intervals so at 18,400 I did oil and fuel. Motor craft filters an rotella t6 synthetic. Everything was good until the fuel filter on the frame rail WTF!!!!!! Who the hell designs this **** thank god my kids were in school, although they could probably hear me from there. I used to watch my father work on this old ****box Toyota and he would say words I never heard before( thanks dad used em all today..and then some new ones) he would say the japs(I know inappropriate , but it's historically significant )built cars like this to get back at us for Hiroshima. Which made sense to me then but I can't for the life of me figure out why ford would do this. Well anyway it's done. What are guys doing for fuel and oil change intervals with synthetic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd say a good portion of us don't bother with synthetic. Most of us swap oil and oil filter at 5,000 miles. I got a Blackstone report on mine to check the health of the engine (since I have a lot more miles than your's). I wouldn't push much past 5,000 unless you're told you can (from an oil analysis).

For the fuel filter, I can swap the bottom one without getting soaked. I let it sit overnight normally and drain the housing with the water separator. I've learned not to be so delicate around that wiring loom and brake lines behind the housing (but not completely reckless) and the filter will come out fine. I think it's a pretty crappy packaging job on Ford's part, but I've dealt with worse. Change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles and remember to add additive (with Cetane).
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Ouick question about the fuel additive, which kind do you use for your truck? Just curious so i can start running mine with the additive after fuel filter changes.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I use motorcraft but maybe someone with a little more time in the cab could chime in
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

I run Diesel Kleen as an additive. Has Cetane boost, lubricants for the injection and anti gel agents for the winter time. As Doss said, most of us don't run synthetic but we change our oil every 5,000-8,000 miles. Fuel filters every 10,000-15,000 miles. I bought my truck with 50,000 miles and I service it religiously. This truck is constantly driven hard on the road and I'm a road construction worker so this rig is exposed to some pretty harsh conditions.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice!!is this only one tank of fuel after the fuel filter change or is is a continuous thing?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

i put the diesel kleen in like every other fill-up "if i'm driving alot" or twice a month if the truck sits more than it drives.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM

4 oz of Ford Cetane Booster and Fuel additive per full refill. I had much better results with it than Diesel Kleen and they are roughly the same price.

Have at least one Blackstone report run on your truck after about 30,000 miles just to check the general health. It's cheap and easy peace of mind.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

What is a blackstone report? Never herd of it
Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonpowerstroker View Post
What is a blackstone report? Never herd of it
Blackstone Labs

Basically they run an analysis on your oil for different contaminants such as coolant, fuel, metal, etc. and give you the results. They can also tell you the health of your oil and if you can extend your intervals any.

It's a nice piece of information to have in order to save money. It can pay for itself in one oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.