How much fuel lost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much fuel lost?

I tried to drain my water separator today and it just barely dripped. I am assuming I will need to remove the cover and clean the gunk out. I will be replacing fuel filters Monday while I am under there. I have not done this myself yet so I need to know is it better to park facing uphill or downhill while replacing the filters and how much fuel I will lose? I am thinking if the fuel will continue to run out of the tank while I have it apart parking uphill will prevent or minimize this. When I remove the cover to clean the gunk out do I need to pick up some kind of kit from Ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm interested in knowing the details on how and what to do as well.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Not much fuel is going to spill out. Probably less than 16 ounces. It will not continue to empty out once the little bit in the lines and housing drain.

You have a few choices when you take the side cover off of the pump. You can either unbolt the housing from the frame rail or just loosen it so there's a little more clearance and you can really see what you're doing. The rear of the housing is in a bad spot for me. There's brake lines and a harness that you have to force out of the way to get the rear cover off and it usually has the filter attached to it. So, it's going to require a little bit of wiggling.

Put an oil catch pan under the pump when you start unbolting things on it. Fuel will come out almost immediately. Make sure you do not prime the pumps by putting the key in the ignition before doing this. You could aim the truck uphill if you want, but I do it on level ground.

To clean the housing, have some cotton swabs ready. If I remember correctly, a Ford tech said it was okay to use un-chlorinated brake parts cleaner. If you shoot it from the end where you pull the filter out from, it's easier to knock all the remaining debris out. Let the cleaner dry before you start bolting stuff back together (should only take a minute or two).

This should take about 1 hour total (including both filter swaps).

***REMEMBER TO PRIME THE PUMPS SEVERAL TIMES AFTER CHANGING YOUR FILTERS***
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Key on for 30 seconds for Atleast 6 times. I did 6 times like manual says too and the truck didn't start. I freaked out. So best to do 8
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Yeah, on mine I even had to remove the key to get it to cycle properly. I don't know why, but that's what I do... 10 times. LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Theres also a schrader valve on top of fuel cooler to help purge air. Mine didnt start once after filter change and bled it and truck fired right up.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

All great info here. You won't lose much fuel, try to have an absorbent pad around your work area for the small spill. Also, I found it alot easier to service the water separator fully removed from the frame rail. It comes off rather easy, disconnect the fuel lines and remove the 2 bolts holding the separator to the frame. Make sure you lubricate the gasket on the filter cap when you put it back on too. Cycle your key 6-10 times and purge the air if necessary and your good to go. I change my fuel filters every other oil change and purge the water separator once a month. Good luck bro!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Oh I forgot to mention. Every time I drain the water separator there's barely a drip of water so I guess everything depends on the fuel supplier and fuel station.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am really thankful I found this forum, even though after reading so many posts I rarely listen to my radio. I concentrate on the sounds my engine makes and anytime it makes an unusual sound I hold my breath until it sounds "normal" again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.