Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wix filter as good as motorcraft?

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  itn69 
#1 ·
is a wix filter as good as a motorcraft i know people tend to use motorcraft only but i was wondering if i am just wasting the money on a wix ?

#2 ·
some say yes some say no. I use motorcraft

#5 ·
the 6.0Ls are engineered to work very specifically so i wouldn't change from OEM.. i mean this oil system is supposedly German.. and we know how anal retentive they can be with specifications.. well.. if you've worked on a German car or your relatives are German :hehe:

#7 ·
Wix filters supposedly do not seal properly...I had a flashing oil light when I got my truck with a wix filter in it, changed the oil, put in a OEM filter and cap, no more flash....

#8 ·
Not to be rude, but why risk it? Put the one on that works (Motorcraft/Racor) and have one less thing to worry about. We're talking about a $6,000-20,000 engine here.

I'm not a stickler for Motorcraft parts, but in this truck I stick with what I know works. Repairs cost way too much to be a pioneer to me.

#9 ·
i did the last oil change no realizing the importance of using a motorcraft and just assumed that spending the extra money meant getting a better product....ok maybe not my mistake but didnt have any problems with that one since then ive seen everyone saying to run motorcraft....so then my next question is to run a motorcraft filter must i buy a new screw on cap?

#14 ·
FL-2016 are a whopping 19 buckaroos at Walmart

#16 ·
^^^^^^^^^^
:eek:hnoes:

#18 ·
Lol, nice, I guess they don't prevent oil pressure from bleeding off like OEM filters and caps, the seal on the top of the filter/cap is not so good...and with all those tight clearances in the 6.4 I wouldn't mess with it...last thing I want to see on my truck is a oil light again!! Even if it was only for a second....

#20 ·
We would have to do a pretty big study and tear down a lot of cranks to see if wix is worth the extra cash v.s. OEM...even then there are too many other variables...I figure it's cheaper and made for my motor so I choose OEM. But everyone can do what they feel is best...and that's great wix is working well for you! :thumb:

#22 ·
Why does the factory cap say not to reuse it??

#24 ·
My cap does not say that? My wix filter said that.... Maybe somebody tore apart a wix filter instead of buying a proper cap?

#25 ·
You are right! I bought my truck used and didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. Sure as $hit I looked at the cap and it says WIX on the side in yellow letters. Guess I need to go to the dealer now and buy a Ford cap since I used motorcraft filters.:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.