coolant temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant temps

Hey guys quick question

Since egr delete wth elbow coolant temps are as high as 195

No load no hill nothing just a 30 minute drive

Also oil temps around 198 tops and 190 5minute idle

With egr the to temp i saw was around 185 tops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My coolant temp was always 194 pre EGR delete and it's in getting deleted now. I will let you know if I see a change in my temp's when I get it back.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM

194-195 coolant temps sound normal to me. oil temps should be a few degrees higher.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

good got kinda scared!! thanks!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

yea mine runs about the 195 range too. no worries
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM

coolant temps

Normal. During summer it will get higher so be prepared.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Would it stand to reason then that the egr coolers act as a heat sink when there is no exhaust flowing through them (egr valve closed). So the constant coolant flow through the coolers is radiating enough heat to keep the temps a few degree's cooler? Eliminate the coolers, now temp is only controlled by the thermostat, some losses might occur through the heater core as well. Just throwing idea's out as I noticed the same thing after my delete.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM

I think the thermostats open at 195....your good! And I thought the exhaust gas is still in the coolers, just not in the intake with the egr valve closed...the valve simply closes off the intake...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passatdiesel View Post
Would it stand to reason then that the egr coolers act as a heat sink when there is no exhaust flowing through them (egr valve closed). So the constant coolant flow through the coolers is radiating enough heat to keep the temps a few degree's cooler? Eliminate the coolers, now temp is only controlled by the thermostat, some losses might occur through the heater core as well. Just throwing idea's out as I noticed the same thing after my delete.
pretty much my thinking too.. surface area of a non heated EGR would absolutely cause dissipation of heat.. there ain't no way around that.. maybe as much as two degrees I'd wager.. the heater core does the same, which is the reason it's an old school trick to turn defrost on high and highest heat when you're overheating..

I have and EGR delete kit, including elbow in hand, but I'm on the fence whether to install it or to use plates and reroute the coolant lines.. either way, though, this is a little plan that has occurred to me:

there is an inline valve available on the market that is temperature sensitive.. it would be nice to have that on the old egr coolant feed- have it open and route coolant through an additional heat exchange if it reaches the temperature the valve is rated for.... so, if the valve is rated for, say, 200*, if the coolant reached that point, you can add additional heat exchange surface and drop likely three or four degrees pretty quick with that rig, as you'd be introducing the cold coolant trapped in those lines.. it would also close back up after the valve went back below 200*...

I did this with an auxiliary transmission cooler on a dodge- i didn't want that oil running too cool, but i did want the capacity if i was towing and where trans oil temps go over 190*.. (it would never break 160* DD w/o load).. I would reach 190, and the valve would open.. I would then maintain 190 w/o any struggle whatsoever...

yup.. when I get a chance, this is going on her..
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM

So I just got my truck back with the EGR removed and the DPF deleted. My coolant temp was usually 194 pre delete and now its around 197-199 during normal driving.

Seems pretty normal to me as well. Feels like a new truck though!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.