Changing gear ratio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing gear ratio

Debating on buying my buddys 09 450. I'm getting it for a pretty good deal only reason I'm considering such a truck. But I was wondering if I could swap out the 4.30 and put a 3.73 in it to get better MPG? If so what axle comes stock on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

f450 is the Dana S110 rear axle...usually.

Randy's Ring and Pinion carries them.

If its 4x4 you'll need to do the front eventually.

mac 'rear is not cheap...but cheaper than it used to be' gyvr
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Hunter of Trolls

you will be fortunate to re-gear for less than $600/axle.. a matter of fact, plan for about $1k an axle.. that is $600 for ring and pinion, and master install/bearing kit, and install @ $400 per axle..

you don't want just anyone installing gears- they are about the trickiest job you can perform, and it takes experience to get them right.. it's the only job I won't consider doing myself.. and, you're only considering moving a marginal ratio, so it would take a long long time to make up the cost by raising the ratio (numerically dropping)...

HOWEVER-

If'n I was in your position, I'd advertise on your local Craig's List or other place people buy/trade/sell, and swap out entire axle(s).. there are going to be plenty of folks wanting to head the opposite direction as you (lowering gears to compensate for larger tires, as an example).. you can swap out axles a helluva lot faster and more efficiently than you can re-gear- and then you don't have to worry about getting the install right near as much..

I've seen brand new Yukon Ring and Pinions eaten alive in less than 1k miles.. I've seen covers taken off after break in to replace fluids and have gobs of metal on magnets.. If you do decide to re-gear your existing axles, for the love of God, find a reputable joint to do it, and one that backs their work...

if you were any closer, I'd consider swapping out with you..

Last edited by drewactual; 01-22-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
you will be fortunate to re-gear for less than $600/axle.. a matter of fact, plan for about $1k an axle.. that is $600 for ring and pinion, and master install/bearing kit, and install @ $400 per axle..

you don't want just anyone installing gears- they are about the trickiest job you can perform, and it takes experience to get them right.. it's the only job I won't consider doing myself.. and, you're only considering moving a marginal ratio, so it would take a long long time to make up the cost by raising the ratio (numerically dropping)...

HOWEVER-

If'n I was in your position, I'd advertise on your local Craig's List or other place people buy/trade/sell, and swap out entire axle(s).. there are going to be plenty of folks wanting to head the opposite direction as you (lowering gears to compensate for larger tires, as an example).. you can swap out axles a helluva lot faster and more efficiently than you can re-gear- and then you don't have to worry about getting the install right near as much..

I've seen brand new Yukon Ring and Pinions eaten alive in less than 1k miles.. I've seen covers taken off after break in to replace fluids and have gobs of metal on magnets.. If you do decide to re-gear your existing axles, for the love of God, find a reputable joint to do it, and one that backs their work...

if you were any closer, I'd consider swapping out with you..
Perhaps we should have an education session on the F450. The dana s110 is not like a d60 or d80. First and foremost is comes with a dropout center section. It came with either 4.30 or 4.88 gears in it in the F450. Its a totally difference beast and it is very much not swappable with anything but another F450 or possibly a F550 (but that's a dana s130). So the advertising on craigslist is probably not going to work.

Go here and put in your truck.
Diff Wizard

You will find that there are now 3.73 gears available from randys. Two years ago when I owned an F450 they did not carry anything for the s110. The 3.73 gearset is almost $700 by itself. The install kit is $300. The super 60 front 3.73 gearset is almost $400. The install kit is almost $300. Gears and install kits are $1700. Now figure that a shop is going to charge you at least $300 an axle per install (probably closer to $500), you are looking at $2300 to $2700 to regear both axles. If they are set up correctly, they will last a long, long time.

Honestly the 4.30 gear isn't a bad gear in the F450, its much better than the 4.88s that mine had in it.

Its going to take you a while to get that $2300-$2700 back in fuel economy.

mac 'options' gyvr

Last edited by macgyvr; 01-22-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Hunter of Trolls

aye... didn't know that!!

thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the info. I was thinking about the time it would take to actually start saving on fuel and to ruin a perfectly good hauling truck, is it really even worth it. Might just go with dpf delete and tuner for a little better fuel mileage. After all its an 8500lb truck, fuel mileage is gonna be low regardless. Especially when I'm used to a 5speed mazda6 haha.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Even tuned and deleted the 450's suffer. 14 mpg is about the best you could see tuned. Most likely you will be in the 12 range. Around me, they are giving away 450's. You can get into a 450 for cheaper than a 350 srw right now because they cant move the 450's.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM

It's the same around here Black. They had a low mileage 450 KR that was $5,000 cheaper than a 250 KR with double the mileage. The 450 is a lot of truck (not that it's any bigger than a 250, but with the rear that wide, it's hard to get around parking lots).

I would look for a 350 or similar. 250 if you're doing more daily driving and less serious hauling. 150 if you're just doing loaded bed and light hauling (daily driving).
Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

F150 diesel would be cool. Oh wait the ecoboost will be the next 1/2 ton gas conversion anyhow
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM

wish I could find a cheap 450, my 350 already has the 4.10 gears so 4.30 wouldn't be bad, but a 450 would give me the 30k weight rating I want.
also a 450 is going to weigh over 9000# empty, my 350 is 9500#'s and i have to baby it and not go ove 60 to get over 14 mpg, usually ave about 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.