2008 F-450 King MPGs (tunner, DFF delete) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 F-450 King MPGs (tunner, DFF delete)

DPF, EGR Delete w/ AFE Cold Air Intake and a 5" Stainless exhaust just installed - Okay now I am really confused!!!! I just purchased and installed all of the above on my truck. While I really didnít do it to improve the power, torque and such as it has plenty, I did do it to improve the air flow and (MPG if possible) and save the engine with all the junk the manufacture puts on it.

I purchased the truck one year ago and have been monitoring the MPGs religiously over the last year. I have been averaging 12 mile per gallon with every fill up and that is with readings from the truck as well as hand calculations. I never run it below a half tank, it is primarily in town driving and I am very light on the pedal.

After installing all of the above I have been checking my mileage and I am getting worse gas mileage than prior to installation of all parts, I am now getting (hand calculations 9.4 mpg / truck readings are 11.0 mpg). Same conditions (in town driving and very light on pedal).

Now I have not used any of the other modes (e.g. mild, hot), I kept the tuner on no power mode, and was wondering if I actually need to run it on one of the other modes and not on no power to see improvement? The truck is running great and I have no complaints, but I would have thought I would see some improvement with MPGs if only barley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Unfortunately most DPF delete products are intended/designed for off road usage so fuel mileage claims are not usually advertised.

That being said, most have found the best mileage on the highest/hottest power setting.

Depending on your location, the cold weather and winter blended fuel beats the mileage down as well, tuned or not.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

See I would have thought that i would get worse milage on the hottest or higher setting, i actually did move it up to the mild setting today when i fuled up. I would love to run it on the hot settings as you can really feel the differance. I am also in Ohio where its friggin cold...........
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnz View Post
See I would have thought that i would get worse milage on the hottest or higher setting, i actually did move it up to the mild setting today when i fuled up. I would love to run it on the hot settings as you can really feel the differance. I am also in Ohio where its friggin cold...........
Spending a couple grand on all the upgrades sucks to see no improvement with mpgs. I would have saved it and spent it on fuel
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run spartan. But I see the best mpgs on the higher tunes. Try running the hot setting with a trans tune to match. I bet you will see a decent improvement. Also when I baby foot mine my mileage drops but when I drive normal with a few heavy pulls on to the highway my mileage is best.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Run it on hot and go easy on the foot and you should see a great difference
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it really good to keep run as well as keep it on the hottest setting? I would think you would only do that in short burst and/ or durations. As stated I would love to run on the hot setting all the time. I'll move it to hot and run it for a tank or two and see what the differance is.

thx
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

My truck is set on kill, all the time. No issues.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2008 F-450 King MPGs (tunner, DFF delete)

I run the Spartan 300 daily. It runs great and my mileage is up from 13.5 stock to about 16.5 (both are city/hwy averages).

Also since you have a 450 the rear end gear is gonna be really low so your mileage isn't gonna be great anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

4.30 is probably the highest gear he's gonna have in that big girl.

4.88 the lowest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.