Need ideas - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need ideas

I have a 08 truck in my shop with an excessively, 1-2/32nds cylinder ridge, worn number 8 cylinder and the valve guides in the heads are at least .020 over spec according to my machine shop. The truck has approx 70k on it.

The truck came in for misfiring and coolant consumption. I performed a power balance and relative compression check and found number 8 to be low with both. I did not perform an actual compression test as my shop doesn't have a compression tester for diesels.

The truck has been run with a programmer and a DPF delete for the better part of it's life however EGR has been left intact.

The customer has an aftermarket warranty and is trying to use that and I want to help them do so. What could cause the cylinder to wear so quickly and what would cause the valve guides to be out of spec already?

Also how can I accurately test the EGR coolers to see if they have a leak? I have filled the gas passages with water and used compressed air in the coolant passages and had no bubbles appear however the water level would change when air was added. Is that the coolant passages expanding?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by Smashed96gt; 01-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Maybe blow gaskets. I don't know. Does it blow white smoke, "puke" coolant from degas bottle, or have crusty white stuff around the cap ln the degas bottle(coolant resevoir)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a very similar situation going on with my truck right now which is being covered under warranty by Ford. Had the contribution/misfire codes on a cylinder and it's looking like I need a new short block. We'll know more tomorrow. They started out by replacing some rocker arms and it did not fix the problem and now they've determined my compression is 100 psi lower on one cylinder.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Cracked cylinder?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM

It didn't blow white smoke but it was puking from the degas bottle. The head gaskets were definately bad but would they cause a cylinder to wear 1/16th of an inch?

This one definately needs a new short block and the machine shop is pushing for new heads as well. The current ones could be repaired but I was told that it would probably cost near what a reman set of heads would.

The cylinder isn't cracked that I can see.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

.... wow thats alot. Did it run with the blown head gaskets for along time? Also i your gonna get heads go with these guys

Home |
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM

I'm sure it was run for a while with bad gaskets. The owners haul a lot with their trucks and usually can't have them down for long but this one was getting really bad.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonpowerstroker View Post
.... wow thats alot. Did it run with the blown head gaskets for along time? Also i your gonna get heads go with these guys

Home |
Agreed! I have heard this is the best place if you need new heads
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

Now I need some more help with the same truck. The warranty company needs a picture of the current mileage. They said they needed it torn down to determine cause and since the heads were coming off the cab is up in the air. Does anyone know the bare minimum that I will have to reconnect to get the dash operational?

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Ooooo um bring cab down and connect all wires into cab and put a battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.