This really tweaks me for some reason.. : - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This really tweaks me for some reason.. :

I work everyday on a military base.. Have for over ten years now.. I'm one of those dreaded 'defense contractors'.. since owning this rig I've taken notice of just about every other one I encounter- specifically, I look at the tell tale tail pipe (say that three times fast) out of curiosity...

I see likely as high as a 60/40 split with those who have NOT deleted to those that have... It's likely that the 40% that don't have straight tips are still deleted- let's guess 20% of those, but retained the exhaust from the DPF back...

anyway.. I had cause to be in the motor pool lot this week, where there were three super duties.. two were 6.4's and one was a 6.7.. neither 6.4 had a DPF.. these are registered USG permanent tags.. and this tweaks the crap out of me..

guessing, now- I guess there are at least two tunes available from the factory.. One is what we all see on our 'civilian' rigs, and one obviously is for the gov't that apparently doesn't require the same emissions as we do.. you know, the same gov't that demands we have them.. I'm dying to pop the hood and see if there is an EGR, too.. But I haven't had the opportunity... yet...

in fairness (if there is such a thing when using 'fairness' and 'gov't' in the same paragraph), these rigs may have been produced with intent for overseas use- such as either of the sandboxes we're active in.. but, that is still no excuse as far as I see it..

there may be a bright side, though, since I like to look for those.. most gov't vehicles are auctioned at the end of their service life.. I don't know if it's miles or time that determines that, but these rigs will likely be auctioned at some point.. my question is: "if I were to purchase one of those rigs at auction, would I be able to legally maintain the lack of emissions equipment, or would I have to have it installed before I could legally register it?"...

sorry for all the space I've consumed here.. the hypocrisy kills me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 AM

I have seen this on fire service trucks specially forest service since day one of the 6.4
it has been discussed before a few times

.. over seas and Mexico bound trucks also have varied builds
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 AM

I've heard such, too... I've now seen it..

the forest service may be able to claim 'off road primary function' and slip past requirements that we have to meet.. this is dang hard for the gov't tagged vehicles in that particular motor pool, though- because their absolute purpose is 'on road' function (the lot is named commercial highway motor pool).. there is another motor pool for tactical 'off road' vehicles all together..
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM

My guess

they probably want them to be able to run on alternate fuel in an emergency situation?

the forest service and others that may see off road is obvious for hot exhaust fire issues

I did see My first 6.4 Regen in action yesterday what a mess
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
My guess

they probably want them to be able to run on alternate fuel in an emergency situation? the forest service and others that may see off road is obvious for fire issues

I did see My first 6.4 Regen in action yesterday what a mess
I thought about that, too... but I don't think so- I'm not trying to be contrary, so I'll explain why:

there are multiple fuel farms on base- where you refuel before turning the vehicle back in.. there are key cards for using the pumps.. the key cards for the commercial vehicles don't work at the tactical farms, though the tactical keys work at the commercial farms... there is also explicit instructions on the check-out forms that makes you acknowledge the use of proper fuel...

I simply believe this is evidence of the gov't protecting their investment and sideways admitting the emissions cut deeply into service life..
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM

It has never occurred to me to look at the govs we have. I just assumed they had all the emmissions bs. I will definitely be checking this out when I get a chance. We have two 6.4 and a 6.7. Anyone know how to go about getting these when they are sent out of service.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM

I didn't know this either, I guess I don't understand why the Gov gets to ignore emissions. I can see a few reasons for some trucks (like the forest service trucks, and the fire issue) to not have the DPF but tough, you enact and enforce emissions you should play by the same rules. I guess when you make the rules you can break the rules.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't y'all know that the government is above the law? They make them, not follow them. They are above Obamacare why not everything else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM

That's kind of odd that the forestry industry trucks don't have to have or can be exempt for emissions. Because all off road equipment (excavators, loaders, cranes so on and so forth) all have to have these emissions now.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
the hypocrisy kills me..

I hear ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.