Anyone have experience with rough country lifts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone have experience with rough country lifts?

Just want to start off by saying I am a new member to the forum but have spent hours doing research on here before I finally decided to get my new truck. You guys have already been a huge help so I just wanna say thanks!

Anyway I got my new to me (33000 miles)08 6.4 PSD fx4 about 2 weeks ago and already have a spartan phalanx tuner, s&b intake, 5in dp back exhaust with dpf/ cat delete and egr delete on the way. My next purchase will be a 4in lift and bmf wheels and 35in tires. My question is has anyone had any experience with the rough country lifts? The price is hard to beat but I don't want the ride quality or towing capability of the truck to be sacrificed. I'm not against spending the extra for an icon or bds lift if they are worth it. Any input would be great. Thanks again to the best Powerstroke forum on the net!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 AM

I've dealt with several of their products.. not on these rigs, though..

they are great for mall crawlers, in general- but lack function off-road.. one lift in particular (for a torsion bar truck i had) was rock solid with well built parts, but the taps were not perfect and there was some manner of prying to get them to fit.. that kit also put hella strain on the cv axles, and they were blown regularly..

the RC kits that include springs i would venture away from.. i'm assuming this kit is likely to have those.. they have a reputation of collapsing and shrinking over time.. guys with jeeps are constantly complaining about this, and though the springs for our rigs are quite a bit more substantial than those found on jeeps- if the same holds true, in a matter of months you'll be sagging with one side lower than the other..

golden question: do you plan to use your truck off road or are you looking for looks alone? -- that should, imHo, determine if you select an RC kit or not..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't plan on doing very much off roading at all. Pretty much just doing it for the looks but the truck is my daily driver for now and I don't want the ride characteristics to change. The kit I'm looking at does come with springs and I don't to deal with them getting weak on me bc I plan on having this truck for quite awhile. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had the RC kit for about a year and a half now. No sagging on either side and truck sits perfectly level. I did the 3" RC lift which came with springs for the front and blocks for the rear. But I added a Top Gun 1" spacer to the front and tossed the RC block and used a Top Gun 5" block.

It definitely will be rougher, not too much - but noticeably. I drive maybe 7K a year so a little bumpy to have a truck that people frequently stare at is fine by me. Ill trade it in for something smoother when I get old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.