I have 1 good question...(help/info) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have 1 good question...(help/info)

I just read a new thread regarding spare tires being different (size) from regular tires. Now here's my question, I bought my '08 250 lifted from/by the dealer and it came with 20" wheels and 37x13.50 tires. I just checked my spare and it's only 17". Don't you guys think that they should've change my spare too and gave me a jack that would work on a 6" lift? What's going to happen if I get a flat out of nowhere? I can call AAA but I don't think that would work either. I mean, I can change a flat tire but of course with the right tools. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add that they forgot to give my keys (locks) for the wheels. Should I go back and say something or I just have to live with it?
One last thing...I don't have the 20" anymore, I changed it to 24". Just wondering if it would make a difference if I decide to go back and complain.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM

it doesnt matter if your spare has a 17in rim as long as the tires are the same diamiter
Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
it doesnt matter if your spare has a 17in rim as long as the tires are the same diamiter
Okay, I will base this on the original wheels that came with the truck.
Wheels and tires 37x13.50x20
Spare-265x70x17
6" lift

Before I change from 20" to 24" I put the two next to each other and the 24" was only about 1/2 an inch taller. And now that I measured the spare and my 24", there's probably about 3 1/2 inch difference. I guess what I'm trying to say is that with the original 20" wheel and tires my spare is still too small.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

it really doesnt matter at all.....with a few exceptions.....

if your tires are different diameters....you should never run different diameter tires on the rear diff IF you have a limited slip....

and you WILL get an ABS code running different diameter tires.....(wont hurt anything.....just will turn the light on)

and you should NEVER run your truck in 4x4 with different diameter tires unless its an absolute neccecity if you have a limited slip rear end.......
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the size of the spare you would need would not allow it to be mounted under the truck - it would have to go in the bed. as for complaining to the dealer, you can, but youre kind of screwed. should have complained about all these things before you bought the truck as is. oh - and wheels locks are an option that the dealer adds on once a vehicle hits the lot.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Emergency Services

As far as the spare is concerned they are right, a 24" won't fit under the truck (I barely got a 35 under mine), and it doesn't really matter on what size tire you use as long as you don't have posi or a locker.
With the jack your probably out of luck, no factory style jack will work. You will have to go with a handy man jack, or floor jack.
On the wheel locks I would complain if the locks are on the wheels you have paid for them and I would demand the key. They would never put the locks on then sell you the key, it is all in the same package. If they refuse to give you the key hammer a socket on the locks (with all the other lug nuts on) and they will usually come right off. If not go to a good tire store and they will have a lock key remover.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ran into to a similair problem about a year and a half ago i had a 06 F-150 on 40" Toyo's and got a flat. Had to wait for a flat bed wrecker to come pick me up, then the truck sat in the shop for a week waiting on a tire
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The purpose of a spare tire to me (and everyones opinion is different) is to help you limp along to a place where you can safely leave the truck (the side of the road is not safe) or have the flat tire repaired. I have 35" tires and my spare is a 265/70. I have put the spare tire on just to see how it would work in the event that I do have a flat. I wouldn't feel comfortable going over 25mph, but I feel that its better to be moving than sitting on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.