Low water temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low water temp

I seem to be getting low water temps. Highway 192-194 rolling to a stop sign it drops to 186-188. Outside Temps have been around 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Doesn't seem that bad. Too hot would be a bigger concern.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM

That really doesn't seem to alarming. I was thinking you were going to say below 170.

How long has the truck been running when you see these temps (again, they don't look like they are a cause for concern)? The heater could knock temps down a few degrees as well if you're running it.

Worst case it could be your thermostats or the water to coolant balance may be off some.

Last edited by Doss; 01-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX 06 View Post
I seem to be getting low water temps. Highway 192-194 rolling to a stop sign it drops to 186-188. Outside Temps have been around 40.
Mine does the same thing dropping a few degrees when rolling to a stop sign, especially if my heater is on.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doss View Post
That really doesn't seem to alarming. I was thinking you were going to say below 170.

How long has the truck been running when you see these temps (again, they don't look like they are a cause for concern)? The heater could knock temps down a few degrees as well if you're running it.

Worst case it could be your thermostats or the water to coolant balance may be off some.
Just last night 160 miles and any time I let off the temo drops. Where are the thermoststs easy to check. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from the can!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

About an hour to change Thermostats out if EGR coolers are not in place. The upper Radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing. I had to change mine out about two weeks ago the kit from Ford ran about 40 bucks if not mistaken. The rubber on both stats were in bad shape. Truck would not reach operating temp as quickly as it should also throwing a code. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Mine does the same thing. Temps here havent gotten much over 30* these last couple of weeks.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM

That should be normal. I drop from 194 to about 190 when coasting to a stop. This is after an hour or so of highway cruising. Its especially noticeable when the weather is cold. about 40 degrees or so.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Putting the winter front grille cover on will help this, not a LOT, but it will help. I lose anywhere from 2-4 degrees on the ECT when I'm waiting at a stoplight.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM

I dont now to much on the technical specifics of a 6.4 and thermostat failures. But in alaska we see temps all over the scael and my 7.3 behaves liek that to, drops like that happen fast once those pistons stop producing heat energy to be absorbed by the coolant. Plus the 6.4 is a "hot" engine just liek all modern diesel trucks engines so when its cold out there still cooling like they have to at 120 degrees with belt driven fans so i think it could just happen. If its below 10 degrees my truck doesnt even touch the N in normal. Coolant temp is a very goofy very variable thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.