Sinister Coolant Filter Install issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister Coolant Filter Install issue

hello everyone well after waiting a month for my sinister coolant filter to get here it arrived.the filter looked a little worse for wear (a couple small dints) but i will be changing for the first time soon so I wasn't to concerned.So i go to mount the filter housing and i have to mount it about 5" farther back then were they recommend because i have the AMP research steps and the motor for the steps is were they want the the filter housing mounted.so i cut the coolant lines put in the fittings but now the hoses are to short to reach the filter housing.so i called sinister and recommended that they make the lines a little longer so they could be routed properly and any extra could be cut off the filter end because it is not crimped on like the other end.I was told that no one has ever complained before and for around 40 bucks they could send me longer hoses.well i cant wait another month for my truck to run so i went to John Deere and got some fuel line the same size and some brass barbed splicers to get me by till i get to the city to get some 3/8 heater hose.I am not saying the product is no good just beware if you have to mount the housing differently than the suggested place get different hoses to start with.even in the suggested spot they would be tight.i added almost a foot of hose and moved it only about five inches back.i am not crazy about splicing the hoses but they are crimped on to the one end so even if you got long enough hoses you couldn't just put them on the tee's.it would be so easy to make the hoses a little longer and let us trim them to length but from the response i got on the phone it isn't going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could have just used hose clamps. And made them as long you wanted pretty cheap i would think.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

from the way i have my hoses routed it looks like i could move mine back a few inches. Shouldve checked into where it bolted and hose length before ordering and im sure sinister wouldve made them longer for a lot cheaper
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledslave View Post
I was told that no one has ever complained before and for around 40 bucks they could send me longer hoses.well i cant wait another month for my truck to run so i went to John Deere and got some fuel line the same size and some brass barbed splicers to get me by till i get to the city to get some 3/8 heater hose.
Funny, I was JUST going to order the Sinister coolant filter but this sounds like some bad customer service so now I'm thinking twice. Plus I have the AMP power steps as well and I don't want to have to deal with it not fitting properly.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM

I don't think it's much of an issue really. From the looks of my hoses and how I have it routed, I could have moved mine back a few more inches. How many more inches back do you need it to go? Maybe you could have just rerouted them.

I'm curious though, why does this sound like bad customer service? I mean, he ordered a kit and had it sent to him and then found out the hoses were too short and now Sinister is offering to custom make a set of hoses and send them to him for $40. That doesn't sound like bad customer service to me. That sounds perfectly acceptable.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With the AMP steps I had to mount mine back about 12" further than the kit was designed to go. No big deal really just drilled a couple of new holes for the filter housing, bought some heater hose, clamps and barbed coupler fittings and hooked it all up. Works great. Just make sure you tighten ALL fittings including the factory installed plug on the back side of the housing. Mine was not tight and it took a bit to figure out where my leak was located. I think it is a good kit, Sinister can hardly be expected to cover all possible contingencies in regards to mounting options.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

If this helps i put mine behind the front bumper. People tell me its gonna hit. Not even once. The only problem is it gets a cosmetic coat of mud and dirt. I love my sinister coolant filter. The only thing i dont like is the hose clamps. The are way to big. I went to autozone and bought some super small hose clamps that seal it up really good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.