Radiator swap this weekend - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Radiator swap this weekend

Well my trucks radiator is leaking and it has been replaced by Ford twice so this time I am doing it myself. I have purchased a Performance Radiator replacment radiator wich looks stock but claims to be much stronger and reliable. It comes with a three year warranty and costs less then a factory radiator.

I will be doing the swap on Saturday at the Auto Craft shop on FT Richardson and as I always do I will be taking plenty of pics to do a full write up. So stay tuned.

P.S. I got it much cheaper then listed on the site. You just have to know where to look.

Performance Radiator | 2008-2010 6.4L Ford Powerstroke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did mine 2 weekends ago. Was relatively simple, just allow for time and don't hurry. I watched the youtube videos several times, and made myself a checklist for the steps from the videos, which I attached as a pdf.
Mine is a Job 1 F350, and there were a few differences then what I saw in the video. Not sure if its because of the F350, or the Job 1 or just the way the videos were made.

My side air deflectors were attached to the upper support with push pins, Had to remove them before the upper support came out. Different than video.

I couldn't get to the drivers side Trans cooler bolts, the oil cooler attached to the CAC was blocking, no matter how much I moved it around. 1 bolt removes the oil cooler from the CAC.

I bought a Ryobi cordless impact (the small one) to use. I have air, but I also have other Ryobi tools, so I justified the money I was saving on the repair, allows me to buy a tool or two. I also already have a coolant vacuum lift I bought for another car, so I used that.

I only drained the radiator, not the block. The coolant was only a few months old (from my timing cover replacement), and I had already been upgraded to the new degas tank. Oddly enough, It still had the single o-ring hoses, which I re-used. New Orings came in the box with the Vista-Pro radiator.
I topped of with new 50/50 Ford Gold.

The radiator in my truck had a tag on top with a date of Feb/2011. I bought it in June of '11, so its been done before.

I stopped going to my dealer, because every time I take it, within a week or two, it has a new issue. I totally believe that they stuck a leaking radiator out of another truck in mine when it was in for the timing cover......

I took a few pics, and was going to do a write up,but never got around to it.
I thought the videos did an excellant job of prepping me for the job....

For those that haven't seen them:

Hope this helps out, and hope yours goes as easy as mine went..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6.4 radiator steps.pdf (34.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To bad BPD doesn't have an all aluminum for you guys like they do for the 6.0
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Thanks for posting the videos and all the good info. I will be putting it to good use. I have talked to a couple outfits about all aluminum radiators but am told that because of the good "stupid design" (thier words not mine) it would never be cost productive no matter how many they built.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just read throught the steps in the PDF. I don't remember why, but I also had to remove the horns themselves. 1 bolt I think and the whole bracket comes off. I think because it blocks access to another bolt or something like that...
I also completely removed the CAC tube to the intake. Made it easier to get to Lower radiator hose and shroud bolts.
I popped out the drivers side battery during reassemble. Too hard to insert the lower mounting bracket bolt with it in place. (the half-circle metal strap that holds it to the upper support).

Last edited by S1nned; 01-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
I thought you didnt take the 450 to AK
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Nope its here with me.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
How is it doing up there

Posted via Autoguide...Enabling my addiction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.