Injector rattle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector rattle?

Anyone else notice as your 6.4 gets more miles its starting to sound louder? In colder weather my injectors makes lots of noise between 1700-2100ish rpm until it shifts into overdrive then you can't hear a think. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

What tune do you run? I've ran some tunes that have injector rattler bad then others(h&s) that have zero. So I would say its probably not posing a problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Some of the older tunes have that issue.

Fuel quality could also change the sound as well, I would check your filters. Run a good quality fuel additive. I've also found that mine idles a lot quieter with synthetic oil and the Archoil 2300 (cleaner).
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM

I'm just running kem 175 tune. I've heard some do it more then others I guess the spartan 310 is bad and even some stock trucks. I just read that since I posted it. My truck has always done it but it just sounds terrible like the valves are going to explode then after 2k rpm and boost builds it sounds perfect.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM

I run synthetic it gets changed every 3k miles. Fuel filters every 7-10k miles and fuel additive every time I put fuel in so who knows
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
I'm just running kem 175 tune. I've heard some do it more then others I guess the spartan 310 is bad and even some stock trucks. I just read that since I posted it. My truck has always done it but it just sounds terrible like the valves are going to explode then after 2k rpm and boost builds it sounds perfect.
Are you sure your problem is with the injectors? It sounds to me more like rocker arms? Injector noise is usually noticed with lower RPM's and at idle.....At the RPM's you state, I'm going with rocker arms. How many miles are on your truck?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 AM

I have 111,xxx miles on it. It's done it for a long time and I really hope it's not rockers. My truck was torn down twice in the past 6 months for HG issues and the second time they went over the engine and rockers looked fine. That was only 1000 miles ago
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM

I also noticed my dads and brothers duramax a do it as well
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Hunter of Trolls

i was going to suggest rockers too.. or, (sorry to suggest) valve springs or valve spring retainers.. if the spring is weak, the rockers are given room to chatter..

I have a high RPM chatter on the odd bank just before shifting 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5... it's not so bad 4-5, but it is there.. I'm all but certain it's valvetrain chatter of some sort.. likely weaker springs imHo.... I have 50k on my rig..
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Who knows. I did lots of reading about it last night and seems to be very common. I remember last winter it did it too then real quiet or not at all in the summer. Now that winters back its doing it again. I really noticed it when I got the kem tune before that it was much quieter. I'm sure I'm just getting myself worried for no reason but I'm paranoid after all the trouble I had with it this summer and fall. I should just crank the radio up and drive the thing. I use to love driving my truck now every two min I go what's that noise???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.