Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Regen???

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  firefooll 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone. Well i traded in my highly modified Cummins and came back over to the Powerstroke club with absolutely no regrets, but I do have some questions regarding this regen stuff. As of today I have 675 miles on my truck and I have had 6 regen cycles which last between 20 and 25 minutes; all the reading that i have been doing pre and post purchase tells me that this is not right but when I talk to my dealer they say that it is ok, what do you think? Also when I was working back in the pasture my truck was just ideling there at about 1400 rpm during a regen cycle and I smelled something burning, I went around to the other side of the truck and a bush maybe 8" away was smoking from the heat of the exhaust, is this normal as well. Last question, when the truck goes into regen does it take power away from it, because it seems to become sluggish until it finishes and then it is back to it's peppy self. Sorry for the long and drawn out question but I just want to get my facts straight before I talk to my dealer again. Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
my truck did the same thing when it was new. Now it has over 6,000kms and i think it's been almost a 1,000kms since the last regen.

#3 ·
Yes there is something wrong with the truck I would take it back to the dealer. 6 regen cycles in 25 mins, thats not good at all. Yes the 1400 RPM and the burning is normal. Remember, the truck raises the EGTs to "burn" the soot in the DPF, so that's whats burning. As far as the power goes, yes it does take power away, even though its not suppose to.....the problem is that your over fueling the motor when its in regen....next time for fun reset your average MPG when its in regen and watch your jaw drop....hahaha.....its all a big pain and there is a solution to get rid of it, he he he

#4 ·
Any luck with getting in touch with KEM???I have tried e-mail and messages with no luck -- everyday and no return info -- I believe that they are avoiding me. I may have to replace this POS DPF soon since fuel is going to go to 3.60 by end of month --- I need some help :dunno:

#5 ·
Regen does throw out some hot gasses. Our truck ges into regen about once a day, but it is always towing heavy loads. You may want to get it checked anyway. It can also make the truck sluggish.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guy's, boy there is alot to learn about these new diesels they are definately more complicated than my early 04 Cummins.... Mike

#8 ·
Regen every 100 miles sounds excessive but it depends on the type of driving.

Mine rarely goes into regen but you can notice a little sluggishness (is that a word?).

I know the exhaust gets hot during a regen but you might want to find out if the truck has the latest programming on it.

#9 ·
Do you happen to know what the latest program version is?? Thanks

#10 ·
No, You should ask the dealer to check it and see if it's updated. Then again maybe the older ones are better if your going to get a performance chip. It's really too soon to say what's going to be coming out soon.

But, if you are leaving it stock you should get the dealer to check and see what it has. Maybe it needs breaking in some more.

#11 ·
Your exhaust temps rise to a certain point, usually around 480C. At this point the fuel is put into the DPF and combusts. The colder the temperature of the air, the more fuel that must be used to regulate the DPF temps.

As far as the heat coming from the DPF, now more than ever its a good idea to route the exhaust behind the cab and straight up. The dpf heat itself is another issue. A nice heatshield goes a long way. You just have to be careful that the heatshield can't trap leaves/grass.

For about the next year or so, stay on top of computer reprogramming available from Ford, things will keep getting better and better.

#12 ·
i was talking to the American LaFrance designer. they are having to put more vertical stacks on Fire Engines due to this Regen. it is shooting flames out 1-2feet. and if it is mounded horizonital. the are having to put override switches in the cab so the driver operstor can clear the area before he Regen's it mannualy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.