purchasing a ESP before current cpo warranty runs out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
purchasing a ESP before current cpo warranty runs out

i currently have the ford cpo 12 month 12k warranty with 8 months left and 7k miles left. I was told I could purchase an extended warranty through ford. has anyone done this? is it worth it and how much should I expect to pay? I'm assuming there are different levels which one should I get? truck is mainly my daily driver / occasional work truck put 10-15k per year on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM

DO IT DO IT DO IT with out question. And I Did. Call these guys and ask for Mike. The CHEAPEST Ford Premium ESP HANDS DOWN. The dealer I bought my truck from wanted $600 more for less coverage. They have all different terms. Extra 5 year 60000 miles is the most if you are out of the 3 year 36000 miles original ford warranty.I Havent used it yet in almost 10000 miles knock on wood.lol

Ford Extended Service Plan
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM

It's all your choice. When faced with that decision, I weighed out my options and it was better for me just to bulletproof the truck instead of dropping money on something as uncertain as warranty claims.

Here's the problem, if you run into a fuel issue (water in fuel), no warranty will help you.

Secondly, you'll need the top warranty (PremiumCare) to cover the things that are most likely to go wrong on this truck (emissions related equipment). So, essentially with a warranty you're hoping that you fall into a non-fuel related fuel system problem (pump or injector failure), radiator issues, or EGR type issues. Maybe a head or head gasket failure. Or a transmission failure. None of these are extremely likely but they do happen.

How many miles are on your truck? That makes a huge difference in cost.

There are 6 main "extended warranties" offered by Ford (by the way, I wouldn't trust any warranty company besides Ford regardless of the promises they make):

1. PremiumCare
2. ExtraCare
3. BaseCare
4. PowertrainCare
5. DieselCare
6. DieselCare Plus

DieselCare is interesting but just didn't seem worth the cash layout for me. PremiumCare and ExtraCare were next for consideration, but the things I viewed as most likely to fail and run up a huge bill were only covered in PremiumCare.

Depending on your mileage, you'll have several options or few options under each coverage warranty.

So, for example, under PremiumCare, you'll next have to choose duration (years) and mileage. They sometimes have several packages under each like a:

1 yr / 12,000 miles and a 1 yr / 24,000 miles or a 2 yr / 24,000 miles

It's all up to you on how long you plan to keep your truck, what you expect to fail, and the risk you're willing to take.

So far, I'm happy that I went the route that I did. If you have any questions on Ford warranties, let me know and I'll answer them.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Well what kind of money are we talking about? And how much to bullet proof? I've got just over 40k and I'm deleted so with anything warranty related ill have to put the dpf/cat back in and detune the truck so for tiny stuff ill just go to my mechanic. (Ex. Fuel water sensor went bad. Woulda been covered but it was worth paying the 120$ vs putting the dpf back on)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Depends on which warranty you want, how long you want it for, and for how many miles. I mean, we're talking about maybe over 20 to 30 options here and they all depend specifically on your truck and who you buy it from.

PremiumCare (1 yr / 12k) anywhere from $1200-1800 and higher as coverage increases. You could still be eligible for a 4 yr PremiumCare and that could go up to about $5000 or more.

ExtraCare generally runs about 20% less than PremiumCare.

BaseCare and PowertrainCare really aren't even worth it in my opinion.

DieselCare [and Plus] start around $2000 and go on up to about 4500.

To bulletproof a 6.4, you're going to need new coolant, coolant filter, EGR delete, tuner, DPF/Cat delete which will run up to about $2500. Then, just stay on top of your maintenance.

To me, the choice was either spend $2500 on something I may never use (a warranty) or spend $2500 on something that will improve reliability, power, and MPG.

There are risks we take. This is the one I have chosen. You could always get a warranty now if you're unsure and then cash it in when you feel like (it's prorated). The sooner you buy a warranty, the cheaper it'll be (literally, mileage and age factor into the cost).
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Well I already have the tuner cai and dpf delete. An I'm planning on soon the coolant and filter in the spring
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM

I have an 08 F350 Lariat with Nav etc....so I wanted the warranty for the electronics, HVAC, etc....

My truck had 27K on it when I purchased the premium care but it was over the 5years, I had to pay $100 for a vehicle inspection so they could make sure it was in good shape. After that I purchased a 4yr 48K Premium care warranty for $1460 + 102 in sales tax. So it cost me $1562 out the door and covers me to 10/23/16 or 75K miles.

There is an approx 50% mark up in the ESP warranty so you can haggle.

Rc
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGo2 View Post
There is an approx 50% mark up in the ESP warranty so you can haggle.
That is not true (the 50% mark up part). I know what the dealer paid for the warranty I was going to get (because I work with them closely selling other parts).

For my 2008 with 79,000 miles before the 5 years was over, the cost of a 2 year PremiumCare 24,000 miles with a $50 deduct was just over $2,000 [plus $100 for inspection]. I know the markup on that and it is nowhere near 50%... not even slightly... not even close to 25%.

Your mileage has a lot to do with that pricing you received.

The dealer has the final say depending on the volume they move for warranties and if their strategy is low cost high volume or the opposite or some other blend. None of the online places could even get close to that price (the ones dealing in Ford warranties) and a few of them are really high volume sellers.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM

Well maybe my terminology was incorrect, in my case the *markup* was nearly 100% and the discount was 50%. What I paid was the dealers cost for the warranty, when I was given choices for warranties I was given every combination of years and mileage up to 5yr 60k and was told pick what you want and subtract 50% and that is your cost...exactly what it costs us to buy it from FoMoCo.

For example Lombard Ford wants $1920 for the same plan, 4yr 48k $100 deductible - the only difference I see is that I opted for the 1st day rental and Lombards website only says that it is optional. So it would appear that they are adding about 35% to the cost of the warranty...maybe more as I assume they are a large volume mover of the ESPS's.

I don't doubt that the year, mileage, etc...has a lot to do with it but my point was that there is negotiating room and to not pay more than you have to.

I will also state that I was able to get that price because I am *considered* a dealership employee and as such I am entitled to certain perks that are not available to the general public. I work for the parent company of a transportation organization that owns over 20 different dealerships up and down the East Coast with a few being Ford's. But again my point was there is a lot of profit being made from the warranty sales so do your best in negotiating a discounted price.

Rc
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Now we're on the same page. That is a lot more understandable.

Certain people are "afforded" discounts due to certain statuses or relationships.

And yes, always negotiate things like this. I just thought it was a little much to tell people it's 50% mark up and work from there. Not all dealers work on the same margins or volumes so it's a little hard to pin point an exact cost for the dealer you're working with unless you have a relationship with them and you know for certain you're getting what they say you're getting.

For the big online shops, I'd say they're working pretty close to high volume costs with some added in (you still have to get the truck inspected).
The Following User Says Thank You to Doss For This Useful Post:
Fast_and_furious (12-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.