WORRIED SICK - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WORRIED SICK

OK, i have a 2008, with 113k miles. bone stock. no real problems. BUT. you guys are scaring the hell-outa-me. All these posts of major failures

My truck truck is used about 12 to 15 times a year. Mostly to tow a 6000lb boat to the coast which is a 4 to 5 hour trip. Can not afford a break down 5 hours from home, with that much boat in tow.

All i want is a dependable, competent, economical tow machine.

Question is. what should i do to the truck to make it more dependable, and economical? Can you help me convince my wife that the money spent on something that I really dont need, is good money. Is the egr delete first, tunner, or what, is most bang for the buck, or which is first?

PS. No inspections where I live. No warranty left on the truck.

thanks for your help. I'm a retired aircraft mech, so I can wrench myself.

dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Like the saying goes, "You can spend a little now or a LOT later" is pretty much spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check out the general modification thread at the top. It will have the info that will help you out.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Quick list (you can get the rest from reading other threads):

1. Tuner (needed to do anything else)
2. DPF/Cat delete
3. EGR delete
4. Coolant change plus coolant filter
5. Maintenance maintenance maintenance

The reason you hear about so many issues is because we're enthusiasts for the most part. We push the trucks pretty hard as a group. Stuff is going to break. Plus, you rarely hear people posting about their truck not breaking (since it's the norm and as expected).

Also, people with problems usually have no problem with posting to get help. Adding to the no problem side, rarely are people going to post that they drove their truck today and didn't have a problem but still need suggestions.

Don't be scared of your truck. Just maintain on schedule and it'll be fine. Don't get cheap. It's a $50,000+ truck. Skimping on filters and extending intervals may save you $100-200 over a year. Is that really worth the problems it can cause?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM

you are using the truck the right way... don't idle it excessively and you shouldn't have to do anything to it IMO
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM

So you only drive the truck about 6,000 miles a year?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies. I still need to convince the SO that a tunner is needed first to start deleting stuff Will a plug or flash style tunner do the trick? That info on thier sites seemed to be unclear. What about the I phone interface units?

And yes, with this economy, we dont get to do as much as we used to. I drive 20k per year with my job, so i bought a Honda Fit for that. My testosterone levels drop each time i drive it But I save up for fishing. I wish i had a sticker that said. "I own a mans-truck" But due to our current president, I can afford to drive it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong View Post
Ok, thanks for the replies. I still need to convince the SO that a tunner is needed first to start deleting stuff Will a plug or flash style tunner do the trick? That info on thier sites seemed to be unclear. What about the I phone interface units?

And yes, with this economy, we dont get to do as much as we used to. I drive 20k per year with my job, so i bought a Honda Fit for that. My testosterone levels drop each time i drive it But I save up for fishing. I wish i had a sticker that said. "I own a mans-truck" But due to our current president, I can afford to drive it.
Bro,

If the majority of miles on this truck are highway miles, and you're towing, you do not need a tune. The problems with this truck arise when people don't perform the right maintenance, or they tune them and beat the snot out of them. If you treat it right, change out the filters on time, and let the REGEN cycle complete, you're fine. For a 2008, ensure you have the TSBs complete for the radiator.

This is the best truck I've ever owned, period, and it's stock. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there, or has been for that matter.

You're good to go without purchasing a 1300 dollar tuner. If you do decide to tune, however, you will end up with a beast that is indisputably the fastest bolt on platform ever manufactured.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

The EPA crap is usually the cause of most issues. My high pressure turbo got cooked by a clogged exhaust filter and the previous owner driving like that for who knows how long. The list Doss made is pretty much spot on. A tuner will support other mods, and let you monitor your truck's vitals. I think the DPF is supposed to be changed at 100k, so you definitely want to keep an eye on exhaust backpressure. EGR delete to prevent hydrolocking. Coolant filter to save the oil cooler. Another thing to watch for is the nitrate levels of the coolant. There's a fair number of trucks (like mine) with cavitation on the front cover of the engine behind the water pump, and the cavitation occurs if you aren't testing the coolant. Can eventually dump coolant into the crankcase, so something else to watch.

PITA compared to the old million-mile diesels, but man these pull real nice
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDETHE View Post
The EPA crap is usually the cause of most issues. My high pressure turbo got cooked by a clogged exhaust filter and the previous owner driving like that for who knows how long. The list Doss made is pretty much spot on. A tuner will support other mods, and let you monitor your truck's vitals. I think the DPF is supposed to be changed at 100k, so you definitely want to keep an eye on exhaust backpressure. EGR delete to prevent hydrolocking. Coolant filter to save the oil cooler. Another thing to watch for is the nitrate levels of the coolant. There's a fair number of trucks (like mine) with cavitation on the front cover of the engine behind the water pump, and the cavitation occurs if you aren't testing the coolant. Can eventually dump coolant into the crankcase, so something else to watch.

PITA compared to the old million-mile diesels, but man these pull real nice
That's right! About the coolant, another good reason to run ec-1 rated elc
Coolant

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.