Air horn wiring schematic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air horn wiring schematic

I got an air horn kit for Christmas and am working out all the details for wiring it up. I do not have upfitters and will be using illuminated toggle or rocker switches. I want one switch to enable/disable the compressor but only when the key is on. I want another switch to toggle between stock horn or air horn when the steering wheel horn button is pressed. I may also add another momentary switch to blast the air horn regardless of the position of the previous switch. Pretty standard stuff.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the forums and think I have it all worked out but wanted some opinions on the schematic I've come up with. I plan to use the purple blunt cut ACC wire under the dash to power the switches used to actuate the relays. Constant 12V will be a fused 4 AWG wire from the battery. This is overkill I know but I also want to power an inverter and maybe some other accessories.

Hopefully I can find the stock horn wire inside the cab. From my research I understand the stocker has constant 12V with a ground trigger that is yellow w/ red tracer. If I can't get it inside then I'll put the relay out at the horn and use the pass-thru wires.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Air horn wiring schematic-horn-schematic.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Man it's best to get upfitters! Installed in 15-30 minutes. I have my horn trigger on upfitter 1, and compressor on/ off on upfitter 2. Works great, upfitters are only hot on accessory and running.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just took a quick look, but it appears you're on the right track. Another option would be to put the on/off switch on the pressure switch instead of the compressor.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just don't have the funds for upfitters right now. I know its easy and all, but I just can't swing it right now. I intend to drill holes and place my switches inside the coin tray so I can easily install upfitters one day and not have extra holes anywhere.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I just took a quick look, but it appears you're on the right track. Another option would be to put the on/off switch on the pressure switch instead of the compressor.
Oh it has a pressure switch, but with it also having an on/ off switch- you can turn it off and on when you want, especially when the pressure switch fails which it will eventually. And if you don't want the compressor running all the time.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgin View Post
I just don't have the funds for upfitters right now. I know its easy and all, but I just can't swing it right now. I intend to drill holes and place my switches inside the coin tray so I can easily install upfitters one day and not have extra holes anywhere.
That will nice and clean.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Thanks for looking. I thought it would be better to switch the power to the compressor just to be certain the compressor can't run with the key off no matter what.

My main concern is the polarity through the whole thing and especially the relays.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the pressure switch doesn't have power, neither will the compressor.

Thinking back, I believe I wired mine that way because I could use an upfitter to power the switch but not the compressor. I was able to eliminate a relay in the process. You're obviously in a different situation (no upfitters for the time being).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.