Questions about the 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions about the 6.4

Im looking to get a diesel truck have havent made up my mind as of yet. I am looking at a f250 king ranch long bed with 40k on it. This truck looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor for 36,000. My issue is all the horror storys I have seen about the powerstrokes. Is the 6.4 a good engine or would I be better off to go new with the 6.7 and i have seen some bad stuff on them as well. I refuse to buy a dodge like the cummins but hate the trucks so it ford or gmc. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

I dont think its the cummins thats the problem. Its more the what appear to be nice finishes, which are junk. At least thats been my experience and other folks that i know with the dodges.

Anyway i can only speak of the 6.4 that i have. Its my first stroker and i love it. I bought a loaded Lariat CCSB with 29XXX miles for 35. So your price doesnt seem bad at all. the 6.7 is a good motor from my readings, but they all have some sort of corks to them. Id get a used one and spend the extra money on mods to help "bullet proof" your truck. You can search all of that. There is more to these trucks then just is it a good truck or bad truck. I have put 20k miles on mine in 6 months and no issues from the truck other then ball joints in the front. My truck new had a lift on it then the guy took it off, so im sure its premature wear on mine. I did all the add on stuff myself, so if you are handy then that will help. Only thing that was tricky to me was the EGR delete. all the other was very basic.

OASIS report is a must and if its a 2008 check to see what job number it is. the JOB1 had a few issues, but its nice to see if they were fixed yet. Research the truck well. carfax...did i mention OASIS!
Especially if you do the engine mods you will love the 6.4L Get rid of all the EPA crap off of it.
I couldnt be happier with mine.good luck
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It all depends in what you are looking for. If you don't want to change anything and run stock? Hands down 6.7. If you want to modify, get the 6.4 and look at the "general 6.4 modifications" sticky at the top of the forum.

Either one will require maintenance. But don't let that scare you.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stock=6.7
Deleted and modded=6.4

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im a old gear head so mods dont scare me, but the pictures of the cab off motor change did catch my eye on the new 6.7. I got my back broke in 4 place in 08 with nerve damage to my left side so not much for big project anymore or I would just build a truck like I wanted. Thanks for the input I didnt mean as much good or bad truck just my diesel knowledge is limited to multi fuel military and detroits. I just wanted to make sure the 6.4 wasnt a lemon in general. I had not heard of oasis report thanks for the tip the car facts is clear one owner. What does the oasis cover? Ford just changed motors so many time in the last 10 year I had to ask questions I knew that a dealer wouldnt give truthful answers too.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Yah. Sounds like u are way more capable then me then. If u can do those things u can handle the diesel. Maintenance is a little different as I'm new to this also. My research led me to wanting the 6.4 for the mods and I like the looks of the2008-10 trucks. Oasis shows fords work they did recalls, warranty work, etc
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_IN_WV View Post
im a old gear head so mods dont scare me, but the pictures of the cab off motor change did catch my eye on the new 6.7. I got my back broke in 4 place in 08 with nerve damage to my left side so not much for big project anymore or I would just build a truck like I wanted. Thanks for the input I didnt mean as much good or bad truck just my diesel knowledge is limited to multi fuel military and detroits. I just wanted to make sure the 6.4 wasnt a lemon in general. I had not heard of oasis report thanks for the tip the car facts is clear one owner. What does the oasis cover? Ford just changed motors so many time in the last 10 year I had to ask questions I knew that a dealer wouldnt give truthful answers too.
Honestly all you need to do is pull the Oasis report and as long as the radiator and hoses have been upgraded. Then you really have no issues to worry about.

The 6.4 is a solid engine and hasnt had any major problem as long as you run it stock. Of course any engine or trans is more likely to have issue when modded but thats what happens.

I have just over 80K on mine, and 12K has been modded. CAI, Mini Max with 250HP tune, and 5 inch straight exhaust.

I dont baby my truck but i dont race her eigher. I towed 10K of that 12K since it was moded pulling my 6klbe boat all over up and down mountains at 70-80mph in the summer. No issues at all.

I would highly reccomend changing all the fluids, filters, and give her a good looking over so you have a level base to start your maintenance records from.

Other then that, enjoy your new truck.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148097

This thread needs another POV please. Sorry OP, haven't yet figured out how to start a new thread on the iPhone.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSMAN6 View Post
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148097

This thread needs another POV please. Sorry OP, haven't yet figured out how to start a new thread on the iPhone.

I honestly have no desire to get on a DMax forum and argue with ignorant and/or stupid.....

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the 08 was a job1 so I started looking around and found a 2011 king ranch with 80k on it for 39000 with every option that year. Going to go test drive in the morning if this snow storm does t hit here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4 diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.