F250 sd 2008 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 sd 2008 6.4

Hey guys new to site and had a few questions regarding a truck..I'm in the market for buying a diesel, borrowed my buddy's dads 2012 350sd for a week and now it's the only truck I want... I found a 2008 f250 6.4l for sale with 140,000 miles on it for $20,000 .. Carfax is clean and truck looks like it was well taking care if and not used for any serious hauling.. My question is what is the life expectancy out of these engines in the ways of mileage, and could I expect any problems that are known for this model/year in the long run?? Thanks for any input guys , and Merry Christmas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 AM

I bought one with 165k. Aside from normal checks when buying used, watch that the exhaust filter isn't clogged and cooking your turbos, and check that the oil cooler isn't clogged. You'd need a tuner or scanner to check each (plus a steep grade and a warm day), but if back pressure is something like a 2:1 ratio with boost, your exhaust filter's probably clogged. If your oil temp is more than 10-20* more than your coolant temp, your oil cooler is probably clogged. My high pressure turbo took a dump because of the filter, and I just had my truck down for a month replacing the oil cooler, so neither is cheap or fun.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the heads up.... With normal maintenance can you expect to get 300000 miles out of theses trucks
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdukie1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up.... With normal maintenance can you expect to get 300000 miles out of theses trucks
Here ya go...
Cars for Sale: 2008 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Super Duty in Cartersville, GA 30120: Truck Details - 332181885 - AutoTrader.com
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Emergency Services

^ wow that's a trooper
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Not to derail any further but wow, that green truck looks amazing for that many miles! That's an incredible number of miles and impressive to see these trucks getting that far when many said they never would. That being said, to the OP, as with any high mileage vehicle purchase check that thing out from head to toe, see if you can snag an Oasis report on whatever it is you're looking at, and go from there. I can't speak much to high mileage on the engine itself as mine only has 46,000 on it, but don't be bashful when checking it out. Dig in cause you don't want to pay later, these are expensive investments even with high mileage.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^ truth! I was curious what my family would guess the mileage was. My brother noticed the wear on the break pedal, but guessed 150k miles. And said BS when I told him 352k.

On that note tho, I would think $20k is way high for that many miles! I have seen tons in the low 20s with under 150k miles! Heck I paid $28.5k for my 2008 KR CCSB 4x4 with 58k miles!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only thing I noticed was the wear on the steering wheel. Don't think I've ever seen a description say "drives like 100k" lol, pretty crazy that thing has over 350k.

Last edited by Alaskan_awd; 12-26-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

I was surprised to see 350K too. That means it was for sure a highway truck.

Ford has said the lower end of the engine is sopposed to last 500K.

That being said you will want to know if its had injectors, HPop, DPF issues, and things like that.

Also take a good look at the suspension components.

At 350K things just start wearing out.

As for the brake pedal wearing out, i had my F150 with 36K wear right through the corner of the pedal, the new pads they use are soft cheap rubber.

Steering wheel, mine looks simular, not as dark but its just the outter coating of the leather wearing from cleaning.

Also if you drive with gloves on it will wear the leather out faster, or have dirty hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.