DPF Going Bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF Going Bad?

My all stock truck that I have owned since new now has a grand total of 41,000 miles. Lately, I have noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust periodically. I think it is only during regen but since I no longer have the message telling me it is regen I am not sure. It is a huge amount of smoke when it does smoke but only does it for a few minutes at a time.

I am going to drive the truck from Altanta to Texas pulling a car soon and don't want to get stuck in limp mode or worse stuck on the side of the interstate. Any ideas? I bought the truck in March of 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it is during regen it is considered "normal" to ford, if it doesnt smoke normally dont worry about it, but if it smokes not only in regen id take it in for warranty
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only way I know if it is regen is I hear popping sounds when I shut the truck off. I'm assuming because of the high temps associated with regen. My truck has "popped" since day 1 if I shut it off in regen. The first time it smoked I didn't think to listen after I shut the truck off. It smoked again the other night and I did listen after shutting it off and it was making the popping sound so that told me it was in regen. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 PM

I would complete the regen if your not finishing it, just keep an eye on it and after it regen complete, drive it for a tad to cool it off.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Ya the smoke is normal, even blue smoke is normal according to ford. That's why I got rid of that thing and I was having these smoking issues at 15k miles.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Mine will do it on cooler days <60F. It happens within the first 5minutes or so of regen when it's trying to heat things up and then I come to a stoplight and idle for a while so things cool back down. The instant I touch the accelerator, it'll belch a white smokescreen like pouring a full can lighter fluid on hot coals no matter how light I'm on the pedal. It clears up within a minute or so while pi$$ing off everyone behind me.

Ford says its perfectly normal. So we filter out the soot particles, but we belch raw fuel into the air to make up for it.

BTW, the most recent flashes display the cleaning exhaust message for about 2 seconds and then goes away. Mine doesn't even say cleaning complete any more either. Ford said displaying it resulted in more complaints than not.

Last edited by aquamans350; 12-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I would do a dpf delete and h&s tuner so you don't have to worry about this. Have you done an oil analysis to see how your oil is being diluted with fuel? It'll amaze you.. You don't have to do an egr delete so you can keep close to stock so it's easy to out the dpf section of the exhaust back on if you have to take it into the dealer for warranty work.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

If the DPF is going bad, cracked etc, it will dump black smoke.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM

when driving hit the middle button on your message center and then the top button..it will go through the checks,,brakes, doors, charging system etc etc..and it will display if your in a regen mode. No more guessing.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Or but an edge cts monitor, you can watch up to 8 pid's at once. And
It'll tell you when it's in regen mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.