Is it ok to drive the truck with the Restore/Restore+ in the engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it ok to drive the truck with the Restore/Restore+ in the engine?

As the title says. Yesterday I replaced all three radiator hoses, drained the gold junk. Filled, drained, repeat with tap water for about 50 gallons (I have empty 55 gallon drums for the effluent). I put 3/4 gallon Restore in it and took it for a drive to warm it up. The Restore is all flushed out. Headed to the shop to do the Restore+ portion. Can I take it on like a 60 minute drive with the Restore+ in there? Seems like it should be fine.

My differential temperature between oil and coolant is 2 - 4 degrees. Hasn't changed. Haven't really gotten any much out of the engine with the Restore. It was >180F the entire time.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should probably be fine for something that short, but you never know. Just keep it filled properly and make sure to change it once you get done and also watch your temps.

A lot of people drive the truck around with Restore (+) to get the temps up where they need to be.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Yes its ok. I drove around with it in the system because its hard to get it to operating temp if you are not driving it around. THe system needs to be 190*+ for it to be efficient at flushing out the system.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM

you are going to do distilled water at some point so your final fill is mineral free ?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I started this process because I had a leaking radiator hose. I replaced all three radiator hoses. I then flushed the gold coolant out with tap water. Once it was out (about 20 gallons of water flushed through), I added 3/4 gallon Restore and tap water. I drove it for two solid hours and then returned to the shop to drain - tap water fill - repeat. I did this for a couple of hours. I never got any muck out. It was a little yellow in color. I am positive my ECT and EOT were at NOT (normal operating temperature) - 194F or so for the duration of the drive.

I only drained using the lower radiator hose and pet****. I was unable to get the block drain out and didn't want to press my luck with it.

Then, I put in 3/4 gallon Restore+ and tap water. Same as above - over 2 hours driving, normal temperatures the whole time, drain-fill-repeat. I flushed over 100 gallons of tap water through the truck trying to get the Restore+ rinsed out. I am still getting the bubbles. The pH, measured using swimming pool pH strips is around 7. I am most probably over thinking this to death. Needless to say, I used up my 20 gallons of DI water and went back to tap water because it didn't seem rinsed enough.

It is in the shop (50F) full of tap water right now. I have my Sinister coolant filter kit on the bench ready to install.

Every time I fill I am only able to add 4.5-5 gallons. Is that ok? Between the drain-fill cycles I have been driving the truck to get temperatures up to 180+ and then repeating.

Is there a way to totally drain the system? Am I missing something? If so, I could go buy more DI water, drain it completely, fill with DI, drain completely again and then final fill. I looked at the thermostat housing. I have to say I do not see how to get it off without removing the upper EGR heat exchanger.

It is worth noting nothing came out of my engine in the flushes. I mean nothing. It had the old design (one o-ring) radiator hoses. Updated hoses on now.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any input. It sits in the shop until I figure out what to do next. I have another rig to get me to and from work in the mean time.

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Subscribed! I have this process coming up too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 AM

I would rinse out a couple of times with distilled water and do the final fill with distilled water. I would not use tap water.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I drained the tap water that was in the truck in this order: radiator drain pet****, driver side block plug and then split lower radiator hose. Then I installed the supply hose for my Sinister coolant filter and put the ball valve on the end.

Filled with DI water, drove it until ECT got >190F. Drained in the same order, then filled with DI water and drained a few gallons through the coolant filter line ball valve. Water is coming out clear. I wish I would have installed this line from the beginning.

Tomorrow, I will drive it to get temperature up >190F again, drain, refill with DI water and drain one last time. Then finish installing the coolant filter setup and fill with 4 gallons of CAT ELC and top off with DI water. What a process!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well.. I'm done with this! Yesterday, I ran another 50 or so gallons of tap water through the cooling system. Draining via the lower heater hose, driver side block drain, radiator pet**** and splitting the lower radiator hose. I drove the truck to get temperature up over 190F after each drain/fill. Then, repeated three times with DI water.

Tonight I did one more drain/fill with DI water. I finished plumbing and mounting the Sinister coolant filter setup and filled with 4 gallons of CAT EC-1 and topped off with DI water.

What a process!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Emergency Services

^ man sounds like one hell of a job..im going to do mine in the spring time..just hope i can remover the block plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.