Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Modification Addiction...

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  rt_hawk 
#1 ·
Does anyone else get the urge to do a complete engine rebuild on a 6.4 with extreme performance parts every Saturday after watching HorsepowerTV?

I feel like if I had a spare 6.4 motor, performance shop in my backyard and a ton of money I would be out there right now porting heads, changing cams, doing valve jobs and just plain reworking an entire engine!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Yup, at times I'm thinking. I'm done putting money into that truck. Just run it and hope it lasts. The next day I'm like well maybe just go ahead and stud it and upgrade the top end of the motor, throw in the batmowheels and egr delete and call it a day lol. If only I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. Only thing stopping me from an egr delete is the emissions. We had it a few years back and I'm sure it won't be long before it needs to be on there

#3 ·
When we had cable i would sit every Saturday morning and watch all those shows in the Power Block.

Man it would make me want to upgrade my truck, get another muscle car to toy with. Always something LOL.

Its like a crack head being near crack. Im ok as long as i dont watch the shows but as soon as i do man i get the itch.

If i could id by a junk yard 6.4 and start the upgrades. Luckly i dont have room left in the garage with all the toys i got in there now.

#5 ·
Dude I'm the same way! I watch those shows every Saturday or Sunday since I was in high school, if I had the money that's all I would do is build hit rods and tinker with sh!t all day. I can never rest my mind from what the next mod should be, I just can't. LOL, since I quit drinking 2 years ago and I have a very addictive personality and this truck modification addiction has replaced my old beer addiction lol. I'd love to build a 6.4 motor from scratch and dump a truckload full of cash into it...I have the truck to load the cash in but no cash to load into the truck lol

#6 ·
It's a disease. And I waste so much time and stress on it. But it makes me so happy. Wtf is wrong with us?????

#8 ·
I bought my truck told myself I would leave it stock not dump a bunch of money in it what happens the first month of owning it??? I'm sure you all know I had the engine apart new turbo egr delete oil cooler now the parts seem like they never stop coming. Lmao definitely a addiction.

#11 ·
I would love to go crazy on my 6.4, it is already a beast! However, with all of the unknowns with emessions.....I keep thinkniong about my long awaited Excursion project. I have the ability to buy a loaded Excusion with every option, and it only has 55,000 miles. My parents have owned it since new in 2005. It has V-10 in it....I would love to drop a built 12 valve, or a 6.4 in it.

#12 ·
Have you seen the exclusion that was converted to a 6.4 with the 08 front end and interior? And everything I hop in my baby I want that thing to go faster. It just makes me happy that it could run over a ricer or roast it on the strip its just such a versatile vehicle! Hahahah

#15 ·
Mts678, congrats on being sober 2 years dude! Well done! And I also bought this truck 1 month ago, pulled everything for me insanely easy, I thought, I'll keep this thing perfectly maintained but no need to sink 5 or 6k into it like I did with my 7.3... Then I thought, better stop those regens, diesel fuel won't lube the motor very well, so off with dpf and on with tuner!! Right now I am modyfiying my stock air box...to accommodate the h&s....

#16 ·
Thanks rt hawk!
After I found out most guys with s&b and afe intakes don't run the intake kits with the lids on them I took mine off and thought, I could've saved some money by using an afe filter in the stock intake and run it with the kid off... Basically the same thing! Anyways, something to think about..

#17 ·
Thanks Marshall, that's pretty much what I did, I used a greenfilter high flow drop in, then modified my stock box, works way better! I'll post some pictures tomorrow...

#19 ·

Here ya go Marshall, just made some 1 3/8th in holes and added some screen to help keep stuff out of there. The filter is a drop in greenfilter, #5023, I think I will get a pre filter made for it also. Don't want to destroy my turbos...I got this mod idea from another member here but I forget who...google should bring it up if you search 6.4 airbox mod.

#20 ·
Nice job man, that actually looks more badass than all of the aftermarket intake kits! Especially with the bolts showing, badass! Nice work!

You know, there's hardly any stickies in the 6.4 section for the basic mods and ect.. Somebody should make an easy list of DIY mods and this should be one of them for sure

#21 ·
Thanks, like I said, the original idea comes from another member here, so he deserves most of the credit, I just made some minor changes.

#22 ·
Was it my idea? or did I copy it from someone else???? I remember posting a thread of my install of this mod awhile back....

#25 ·
Atwoojr, yup it was you I got my idea from! I googled 6.4 airbox mod and your DIY thread came up, thanks for the good idea...also outerwears is making me a custom pre-filter for my drop in, I get into some dusty junk sometimes and I figure the more filtering the better...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.