'08 Ford no regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08 Ford no regen

hey all its been a couple years since iv been on here. two years ago i was on here every day due to owning that 6.0, man im glad that mess is gone now! now i have a 08 6.4 and its been a very good rig. My question is that since i have owned it 2 yrs now it has only regend one time for 5 seconds and never again.i bought it used 70,000 miles i havent done any thing to it the dpf is still there and every thing else. it run great never any problem. it dont bother me a bit that it dont regen i was just wondering why it dont? could previous owner have done anything?(oh yea the pic is the old pickup 6.0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Hunter of Trolls

I bet a dollar to a donut your seeing passive regens, and your missing a helluva lot of them as they only flash for a few seconds..

That said, good for you!! Whatever additive you're using, keep it up.. wherever you're getting your fuel, I'd keep that up, too..

If you don't idle, take short trips, or run silly fuel delivery, you can go a long time without a full regen.. the dry ash burns away nicely, that wet crap, not so much..

Last edited by drewactual; 12-13-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea im glad it dont do it, it runs great it even blows black smoke when i get on it. my brothers pickup is the same but it regens and when he gets on it not a bit of black smoke. could some one of knocked a hole thur the dpf and left it on? i don't know but just looking for a possiblity why it don't
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadapowerstroke View Post
hey all its been a couple years since iv been on here. two years ago i was on here every day due to owning that 6.0, man im glad that mess is gone now! now i have a 08 6.4 and its been a very good rig. My question is that since i have owned it 2 yrs now it has only regend one time for 5 seconds and never again.i bought it used 70,000 miles i havent done any thing to it the dpf is still there and every thing else. it run great never any problem. it dont bother me a bit that it dont regen i was just wondering why it dont? could previous owner have done anything?(oh yea the pic is the old pickup 6.0)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless you are monitoring EGT and regen with something like a Dashdak/Spartan you won't see the regen very often (hardly ever).
I run a DashDak and monitor both EGT and Regen. I am stock tune with DPF on. I live in a rural area, a lot of my driving is 60-65 freeway. In this environment I see regens at 330-400 miles. If I do a lot of idle and stop and go I see regens a 180-260 miles. During regen I see up to 1300 egt.
Passive regen will not keep this truck completely clean. Best way to track is to get something that plugs in the ODBII port to monitor. My truck is driven daily from 50 to ?? miles and has 154K.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max2006 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless you are monitoring EGT and regen with something like a Dashdak/Spartan you won't see the regen very often (hardly ever).
I run a DashDak and monitor both EGT and Regen. I am stock tune with DPF on. I live in a rural area, a lot of my driving is 60-65 freeway. In this environment I see regens at 330-400 miles. If I do a lot of idle and stop and go I see regens a 180-260 miles. During regen I see up to 1300 egt.
Passive regen will not keep this truck completely clean. Best way to track is to get something that plugs in the ODBII port to monitor. My truck is driven daily from 50 to ?? miles and has 154K.
So how could the black smoke pass by? i can make it smoke every time by getting on it or luggin it around? other 6.4 i see that are still stock have nice clean exhaust pipe ends my pipe and bumper always black.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Don't you worry about it

you definitely have something wrong if it is smoking.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run a CTS insight on my truck and have it watching the regen. Most of my driving is around town and a 600 mile trip every other month. Mine cycles every 3-400 miles and once on the lond trip for about 30 miles. I have never seen any black smoke from my truck even under a heavy towing. I run diesel Kleen and get my fule from the same gas station every time. 158000 miles
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadapowerstroke View Post
So how could the black smoke pass by? i can make it smoke every time by getting on it or luggin it around? other 6.4 i see that are still stock have nice clean exhaust pipe ends my pipe and bumper always black.
DPF could be cracked inside.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yup, cracked dpf most likely.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Last owner might have gutted the DPF section. It works off reading exhaust temps pre and post if i recall.

As it clogs up the exhaust temp raises on the sensor just before the DPF and then it starts the cycle. It has a post sensor to monitor temps on the outbound side, once the sensors are reading within a certain range of each the cycle is complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.