6.4 weak links - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to sicwitted44
6.4 weak links

are the known weak links in the 6.4 alleviated with dpf cat removal,egr blockoff and coolant filter? ive heard the stock head studs and head gaskets are a major improvement over the stock 6.0s and do not need to be upgraded. also i changed my fuel filters this morning, they looked filthy. the filter on top of the motor was almost solid black, the filter on the frame was not as dark but still didnt look good. is their supposed to be a code thrown or a warning light when the filters need serviced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
The main common issues will be fixed by doing those mods. The only other mod I would add to the list is an airdog. The stock ford system is ok, but the airdog is much better at filtering. It also makes filter changes much easier, but also a tad more expensive since you have to keep the motor mounted filter in place. They dont sell the stock fuel filters individually so you buy both and the water sep just sits on a shelf. I change my motor mounted filter every 30k and my airdog filters at 10k. Your truck will give you a water in fuel indicator if you have water in your fuel, but it wont tell you when to change the filters. The stock HG's and studs on a 6.4 are much stronger than a 6.0. They will last usually if you dont hot rod. There have been a few HG failures lately here on the forum though.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM

thanks again blackcloud. sorry for the constant ?s. air dog? is that a cold air intake? i installed the s&b. i also installed with the hot dam download today, ran the mild setting, i had amazing power and averaged 20 mpgs with the cruise set on 60 mph. glad i finally bumped her up a bit. i think the h&s book said that setting adds 125 hp
Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
NO worries. Thats what forums are for. It gives me something to do while I sit here at work watching the rig not drill.

The higher the HP tune you run, the better your MPG's will be to an extent. That is why I run a 275 tune as the DD. It nets me the best MPG's on the interstate, 250 nets the best in town. The airdog is an aftermarket fuel pump/filter system.

AirDog II DF-165 w/ Built-In Adj Reg Quick Disconnect 08-10 6.4L Ford

I personally run the airdog 2 165. Its a great pump. I ran a standard airdog on my last truck (2000 7.3) and it worked great as well. It is a piece of mind that things are getting filtered better, and that air is being removed from the fuel. This mod is not a must to fix known issues with the 6.4, but it is a nice second tier wave of mods I would say.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM

u work in the patch? i have to head back over to n.d. on sat. it kinda sucks, i work 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. since my pmc bars and coolant filter wont be here by then im gonna have to wait till i get home to install em. its gonna be agonizing. what rig u on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.