08 6.4 f450 new owner questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4 f450 new owner questions

Just bought a f450 2008. Purchases h&s mini max dpf/cat delete and egr delete. some questions I have are

1. What else needs to be done to make this reliable
2. Can the egr cause fumes at times in cab if not working properly
3. What things should I look at to make sure they are ok
4. My power folding and telescoping mirrors are not working. Where should I start with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Hunter of Trolls

1. You're well on your way it seems.. maybe consider an airdog for its filtering abilities, a coolant filter, and ccv mod..

2. I kinda doubt it, but an exhaust leak sure would..

3. Get an oil analysis, and get a coolant chem tester.. scour over the oasis report available at the dealer..
4. I'd start at the fuse block, if not, I'd go directly to the switch itself.. can you hear the motors engage at all?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM

The moters are not making any noise. What is the oasis report and why the analisers?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oasis is a report run by the dealer that can tell you what has been done to the truck (TSB's, fixes, etc.) at the dealer (any of them).

Oil analysis because it'll tell you a lot about the health of your motor. If there's excess metals, fuel in oil, coolant in oil, etc. It's cheap too.

Pretty much everything Drew said is spot on. I'd also add that you change your oil filter every 5k miles (and oil too) and change your fuel filters every 10k miles. Drain water every month or 1000 miles. Get fuel additive (I like the Ford stuff) that boosts cetane and lubricates the fuel system.

Check your coolant regularly (level and nitrates) or swap out for new coolant (like CAT EC-1 ELC).

Change the trans filter and fluids, transfer case fluid, and diff fluid as recommended. Flush your brake system regularly.

I'd make sure to get the EGR elbow to go with the delete.

Done.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 PM

Ok how or where can i get the oil checked and how many miles on the oil should i have. Any ideas on mirrors?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Blackstone Labs (google them) and you should be running about 5k intervals on oil. The analysis will let you know where you can go from there.

Drew helped you with the mirrors already. If they're still not working, let us know what you have done to troubleshoot them so far.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Ok I have the programmer in and the clock spring replaced. I still have dpf and egr on the truck. I have the h&s tuner. How big of a tune can you go before needing trans and engin mods? Also how much is good with the filter still on?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM

You can only use DPF-on tunes with the DPF on. I think those top out at 175 HP. I can't remember.

So, in theory, you should be able to run those no issue. Then again, each truck is different. The stock tranny and engine can take some abuse, but drive it like a moron or a racetruck and it's probably not going to last very long.

DPF off and you can run up to 300 HP. It will hold for most guys. Some guys just get the short straw and end up breaking stuff. Just don't drive it like it's a sports car all the time and you should be fine.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM

ok sounds good. any recommendations for monitoring? i see the tuner monitors egt but is it accurate or should i install hard gages. i am new to modifying diesel. i want to make sure i am covering all my bases. Thank You for all your replies.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM

The gauges on the Mini maxx are good enough for most people. You can hook up other monitors, but I don't have a recommendation there. You can show 4 sensors (gauges) at one time on a Mini and also have one large (from the 4 you have chosen). There are lots of sensors you can pick and choose from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.